× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[Solved] Apps not available on RN102, 6.0.8

svele
Aspirant

[Solved] Apps not available on RN102, 6.0.8

Hi there,

I recently bought a RN102, populated it with two 3TB WD RED disks in RAID-1, upgraded the firmware to 6.0.8, and filled up the NAS (2.7TB) with the files from a failing WD Livebook.

Then I realized that the apps tab was empty, stopping me from running a Plex back-end on my NAS.

After perusing the forum, I've found a couple of people with similar problems, but none of the suggested solutions work for me. For example http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=72067&p=400610&hilit=apps#p400610 managed to fix his or her problem after multiple factory restores and meddling with the raid settings.

This, of course, would leave me without all my precious data, and so I was wondering if someone out there have any idea of what I should do fix my ReadyNAS so that I get access to the apps.

I have so far tried reinstalling the firmware, both by downloading it and doing a manual update, and by reinstalling the OS from the boot menu.

Any suggestions?

(Oh, and if this is the wrong thread to post my question, I apologize. I'll be more than happy to move it to the proper thread if someone could point me in the right direction.)
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Apps not available on RN102, 6.0.8

You are not seeing plex under "available apps"? Also do you see the spinning "wheel of death" on the installed app page?
Message 2 of 13
svele
Aspirant

Thanks for responding, StephenB.

Under "available apps" there is nothing listed, so no, no Plex either.

Under "installed apps" it just says "no installed applications".

There is no spinning wheel in either place...
Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I am not seeing this - at one point I saw the spinning wheel, and after several hours that resolved itself. Plex is installed and functional.

If no one here has good suggestions, you could try support.netgear.com (or phone support if you purchased within the last 90 days).
Message 4 of 13
svele
Aspirant

Thanks again, StephenB.

It's still less than 90 days since I bought the NAS, so I might go ahead and call them on Monday.

I was just wondering if you (or someone else) might shed some light on something regarding this.

In one of the other threads about this problem, one of those posting speculated that the files for the apps might have gone missing for some reason.

When I logged on to my NAS through ssh, I listed all the files in the /apps/ directory, finding only the below:

root@xxxxx:/apps# ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52 Aug 4 02:00 APPGENIE
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jul 24 13:26 DO_NOT_DELETE
root@xxxxx:/apps#

If someone reading this could provide me with their output of "ls -l" in /apps/ on their own NAS, I would be very thankful.

-svele
Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I see

root@RN102:/apps# ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52 Mar 19 02:00 APPGENIE
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Mar 5 10:47 DO_NOT_DELETE
drwxr-xr-x 1 admin admin 314 Jun 28 07:20 plexmediaserver
root@RN102:/apps#
Message 6 of 13
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Try 6.1.1 beta 🙂
Message 7 of 13
svele
Aspirant

Thanks again, StephenB.

So, I now think there isn't anything wrong with that folder on my system, at least...

And super-poussin, how do I go about upgrading to a beta version?

And don't you think it might be a bit risky, given that it is still in beta?
Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Instructions are here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=72282

You should ensure you have an up to date backup (but you should do that anyway).

The beta firmware is probably fairly close to being a release candidate. Feedback on any issues found is appreciated.
Message 9 of 13
svele
Aspirant

Thanks, mdgm.

I'll think about it for a bit before going ahead, as I don't have a backup for all my stuff - that's what my NAS is intended to be 🙂

And do you think it might solve my lack of apps issue?
Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

svele wrote:

And do you think it might solve my lack of apps issue?

Yes, I do think it might.
Message 11 of 13
svele
Aspirant

Okay, then I'll give it a shot.

Stay tuned for a status update! 🙂
Message 12 of 13
svele
Aspirant

And it works!

Thanks a bunch for your help, guys. Really appreciate it.

Seems like the beta firmware is stable enough, and just as predicted by mdgm, the upgrade fixed my lack of apps issue!
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements