× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What info does Netgear collect from Photos II?

yubyub
Aspirant

What info does Netgear collect from Photos II?

So, we have a few areas where information could be collected:

- redirections via readynas.com to our personal servers
- collection of email/contact info
- views/statistics on the albums
- etc...

What information is collected by others (i.e. what is NOT kept private to us) when using Photos II?

Is there an EULA or other agreement somewhere?
Message 1 of 4
yoh-dah
Guide

Re: What info does Netgear collect from Photos II?

We do track various usage statistics on our server to monitor how many folks are using the product as well as seeing how many photos and albums are being shared as well as viewed. We also have to keep track of the redirections to your ReadyNAS since we sort of act as a DDNS. Photos uploaded via email and ftp go through our server until they're picked up by your ReadyNAS, but otherwise, we don't keep any of your photos on our server. Your photos are shared using our email server, and we do logs of all email transactions, but we don't have access to your email contact list. That said, because most of the data reside on your ReadyNAS, Photos II maintains your privacy more so than services like Flikr and Picasa.

We will have a EULA that spells this out in future update.
Message 2 of 4
yubyub
Aspirant

Awesome, thanks very much for the information.

We do track various usage statistics on our server to monitor how many folks are using the product as well as seeing how many photos and albums are being shared as well as viewed.

Does this mean that when photos are being viewed on my NAS, there's some sort of periodic or instantaneous message which goes to Netgear which says "photo X in album Y was viewed on server Z"? Does it also log who/from where the photo was viewed?

(sorry, I'm a bit of a privacy freak, or at least understanding exactly what is not private)

An option to not use your site for ddns (some of us have it, i.e. dyndns.org and such) would be wonderful, as would an option to completely and utterly self-host the thing. I've gotten positive comments from a few test people who've used it/shared photos, but the privacy concerns are a bit worrying for me.
Message 3 of 4
lpreat
Aspirant

hi YubYub. Did you get any answer about your privacy concern ? Did you also get some information on how to use Potos 2 with your own DDNS ?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements