× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: file hierarchy

syst3merror
Aspirant

file hierarchy

I currently use the RN104 as a media server in my home....and I couldn't be happier with it. I have an older external hard drive that when I need a file off of it, I have to get it from the closet, plug it in, and then plug the usb cable into my computer.....so I was wanting to just remove it from its external housing and just put it in my RN104 since I still have a free bay.

My question is, is there any kind of app for the RN104 that would basically give me the same file hierarchy as windows has? So that I can just navigate and view the files on it like I do now? (Open the drive>open the folder "Taxes">copy the pdf onto my computer)

I didn't know if the readynas would automatically format the drive like it did with my first hard drive and try to just link the two drives together giving me nothing more than the "Videos" folder "Music" folder, etc.

I hope this was explained well enough for someone out there to understand what I'm looking for. If I have to I guess I can just plug the external drive into the back of the nas?!?! but I was really hoping to just install it into the nas and forget this big bulky external case and cables.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You can plug the external drive into the NAS USB port, since the NAS does understand Windows formatting.  It won't delete the files, and you can actually share the USB drive if you want.  

Alternatively, you can move the data to the NAS array using the built-in backup.  

You do need to be careful to eject the drive via the web ui before you remove it.  Linux isn't as forgiving as Windows is.

If you are thinking you can crack the case of the USB drive and insert the hard drive inside the NAS Chassis - then no.  You can't do that, the NAS will need to reformat it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can plug the external drive into the NAS USB port, since the NAS does understand Windows formatting.  It won't delete the files, and you can actually share the USB drive if you want.  

Alternatively, you can move the data to the NAS array using the built-in backup.  

You do need to be careful to eject the drive via the web ui before you remove it.  Linux isn't as forgiving as Windows is.

If you are thinking you can crack the case of the USB drive and insert the hard drive inside the NAS Chassis - then no.  You can't do that, the NAS will need to reformat it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements