× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't login from Mac (10.7.1 Lion)

cstern
Aspirant

Can't login from Mac (10.7.1 Lion)

After having waited for a long time for first a new firmware for my NVX, and then a new client for my Mac running MacOSX 10.7.1 (Lion), I could go on using RNR - at least so I thought.

I have installed the production firmware on the NAS and then realized from another post that even though it would appear as if the client software couldn't install, it did in fact do so.

After rebooting I was excited to finally get ny RNR connection up again - but no. Every time I try to log in I get "Login Failed".

I can connect to my account and thereby verify that my username and password is ok. I can also connect using the same login and password from a PC running Windows 7.

I can also connect to the internet from my mac, and access the NAS (when I am at home) the shares on the NAS via SMB and afp.

So, now I don't know what else to try.

Client: 1.0.21 for MacOSX 10.6 on Intel
Server: 1.0.9.78

Thanks in advance,

Claus
Message 1 of 19
jzeimet
Aspirant

I had the same problem and got a hint by Justincbeck: Install tuntap virtual network driver and it will work immediately!

By the way, I'm only running smb (you can set this at the rnr properties/connection settings page). Port forwarding and automatic proxy detection is also enabled.

Works like a charm. Thanks to justin again!
Message 2 of 19
cstern
Aspirant

Thanks - can you give me directions on how to do that?
Message 3 of 19
sphardy1
Apprentice

Message 4 of 19
cstern
Aspirant

worked like a dream! Thanks 😄 😄
Only problem was that the RNR service for unknown reasons had shut down on the server. But after restart everything worked again. However, this had nothing to do with the login problems, which the tuntap solution in this thread solved.
Message 5 of 19
seezee
Aspirant

Oboy! Worked like a charm. I just need to remember to log in as "foo" to see the shares (tried logging is as ********, but that's the login for Time Machine, so all I could see was the Time Machine sparsebundle).

(foo and ******** obfuscated for security)
Message 6 of 19
nicolaban
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I can't log in to my account via the remote desktop program. But I don't want to download any more programs! I bought my NAS 6 months ago so that I could access my files from abroad and now after 6 months Netgear comes with an update for OSX Lion and it doesn't work!!!! Except off course if you spend 5 hours researching the web and numerous forums just to find out that you need an additional program and some more settings.

Please NETGEAR get it together and give us a solution that works! I doubt that I would need to go through this kind if thing if I bought an apple product for example.

I would appreciate if a representative from NETGEAR would like to comment this and give me and every one else a quick and easy solution I have already been waiting for 6 months!
Message 7 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

nicolaban this thread as been dead for months. Would've been better to open a new thread. The Lion update was released well after the previous post in this thread. So the workarounds mentioned in this thread are not needed.

What version of the ReadyNAS Remote software did you install? Have you tried rebooting after installing the update.
Message 8 of 19
nicolaban
Aspirant

I installed the latest version(see below) since i have a new macbook air, I have rebooted, I can log in via the ready NAS remote webpage but not via the program, just says log in failed.

ReadyNAS Remote for OS X 10.7.x (Lion), Version 1.0.26
Message 9 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I had this problem with 1.0.26, I think. From memory I had to re-install 1.0.26 after each reboot to get it to work.

I believe this problem is fixed in 1.0.27. Please try it. See https://remote.readynas.com/download.html

Edit: not fixed.
Message 10 of 19
nicolaban
Aspirant

I tried it but I still can't log in. Is there any special settings that could be wrong? Both in the program and in the computer?
Message 11 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You still get the login failed error?

Have you tried rebooting after installing this update?
Message 12 of 19
cstern
Aspirant

I have two macs, a macbook pro and an iMac. On the notebook, which I got first, I have installed the tuntap thing and it works fine with RNR. On the iMac on the other hand I see something similar to what nicolaban reports, i.e. I can not login. The icon in the menubar keeps "blinking" forever and never gets around to logging in. It is the newest version (1.0.27). It has been working however, (perhaps after reinstalling) but next time I try it goes back to this failing login situation. I am considering to install tuntap on the iMac as well. Both computers are running Lion 10.7.2
Message 13 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think you might be right that 1.0.27 still has problems. Re-installing it after each reboot is one option, I guess.
Message 14 of 19
ckstaley
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
nicolaban this thread as been dead for months. Would've been better to open a new thread. The Lion update was released well after the previous post in this thread. So the workarounds mentioned in this thread are not needed.

What version of the ReadyNAS Remote software did you install? Have you tried rebooting after installing the update.

Not true, mdgm!! You know not of what you speak.

It's Jan. 22, 2012. I have the latest version of Lion (10.7.2), the latest version of ReadyNASRemote on my MacBook Pro (1.0.27), the latest version of ReadyNAS Radiator on my Duo (4.1.8 ), and the latest version of ReadyNAS Remote on the ReadyNAS Duo server (v1.0.9.78)...

... and STILL I found that I had one shot at ReadyNAS Remote working on my MacBook Pro. After that, I had to completely uninstall it (including system files) and re-install it only to have it work just once more. If I quit the app, it would always give me the "login failed" message.

Finally, I found this thread and installed TunTap. I have no idea what it fixes that Netgear can't seem to fix, but it just plain simply works . . . over and over and over again . . . IT WORKS!!!!

Thank you jzeimet for telling us the hint by Justincbeck!

Any others having this kind of problem, here's the URL again...it just works!: http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/
Message 15 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have been using it and whilst it's not fixed, I think it is working a little better.
Message 16 of 19
davclark
Aspirant

TunTap also seems to have fixed this issue for me on Mountain Lion (10.8.2). I was a bit concerned about using software released in 2011 for this, but at least it works for now...
Message 17 of 19
cydeweyz
Tutor

To be fair, TunTap updated their files in November, well after this fix was posted. Even though it was last year, it seems to be the fix for Readynas Remote problems on 10.8.2
Message 18 of 19
simon_williams
Aspirant

Thanks, we had been having issues on Mountain Lion. This solution works for Mountain Lion 10.8.2 as well, running ReadyNAS Remote 1.0.60 on ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition, RAIDiator 4.2.22 running ReadyNAS Remote v1.0.9.78.

Why though is ReadyNAS Remote so flakey though??? We find we have to reboot/restart it way too often on the NAS. One day it will work fine & the next it won't. It is very frustrating!

Cheers,
Simon
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements