× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Every Folder Has An ".AppleDouble" Folder in it

NV_v2
Aspirant

Every Folder Has An ".AppleDouble" Folder in it

I Am running ReadyNAS Remote version 1.5.8 for iOS and Radiator version 5.8.3 (arm) on my ReadyNAS NV+v2, and recently on my iPhone I am seeing ".AppleDouble" folders appear in every subfolder within the "Media" share. The top level folder also has ".AppleDB" and an ".AppleDesktop" folder. I have deleted the app from the iPhone and reinstalled it, but that did not solve the issue. If I use ReadyNAS Remote for Mac or Windows, these folders are not visible. If I connect to the shares on my local network I don't see the folders either. If I connect directly to the NAS using Dashboard I do not see the folders unless I check show hidden files & folders. Does anyone have a clue why these folders are showing and how to stop them from showing.
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Those folders are created when your Mac accesses the NAS. It sounds like for some reason the Remote app for iOS does not hide those files.
Message 2 of 7
NV_v2
Aspirant

The Remote app used to hide these files. I think it might be since I updated to iOS version 1.5.8 of the app is when I started to see them. Perhaps there is a bug which shows hidden Mac files?
Message 3 of 7
Ushman
Aspirant

This also happened to me but the reason is not because it is being accessed by my Mac. I have accessed my ReadyNas with my Mac for the last 5 years and these files were never created, occasionally I would get a .DSstore file but not these. I now have one .AppleDouble file in every single folder on my NAS. Very frustrating given the time it takes to delete these.

The only things that have changed that coincide with the introduction of these files are:
1. I added 2 new hard drives, thus a resync was necessary
2. I upgraded my NAS firmware to Radiator 4.2.23

I have no idea which one of those 2 events caused this but since other users are having the same issue, I suspect the firmware upgrade might be the cause.
Any help from an administrator here would be appreciated.
Message 4 of 7
Ushman
Aspirant

In case anyone is interested, I was able to fix this issue by downgrading my firmware back to Radiator 4.2.22.

Since the rollback, I have no longer had the creation of any .AppleDouble files despite continuing to access my NA via my Macbook Air.

And in case you would like to clean up the .AppleDouble file mess in a nice and quick way, I used a program (for OSX) called BlueHarvest (free trial that cleaned up my entire NAS of these files in about 15 seconds). After I cleaned up all the files I turned off BlueHarvest. So I have been accessing the NAS with OSX and no more double files.

So it appears this issue lies within 4.2.23, perhaps they fixed it with 4.2.24, does anyone know if 4.2.24 is also seeing the creation of these files? Or Admin, do you have any comments on this?
Cheers
Message 5 of 7
zerl
Aspirant

I use 4.2.24 and have the same issues.
Message 6 of 7
nasbee
Aspirant

Hi

I'm very new to NAS, how do I check what version I am on and I use the mylifebook duo. I'm having the same problem with having AppleDouble folder everywhere, and it seems to be doubling up the files and hence taking up lots of unnecessary space on the NAS. I'm using both Macbook Air and Windows XP as well as Windows 7 to access.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements