× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Getting Automatic v0.9.7 to run

VirtualMe1
Aspirant

Getting Automatic v0.9.7 to run

Hello,
I would like to get automatic (0.9.7) running with transmission (2.73) on a ReadyNAS Duo (sparc, RAIDiator 4.1.10).
Transmission is running properly, and able to start a download automatically as a .torrent file is copied in /media/BitTorrent/sources/

My automatic.conf file in /etc looks like that:

transmission-version = "1.3" #no better luck with "external"
rpc-host = "192.168.178.2" #as used for the web interface
rpc-port = 9091 #as used for the web interface
rpc-auth = "MyUSER:MyPASS"
interval = 1
upload-limit = 11
use-transmission = no
start-torrents = no
torrent-folder = "/media/BitTorrent/sources/"
statefile = "/media/BitTorrent/sources/automatic.state"
feed = { url => "http://rss.thepiratebay.se/0"
}
filter = { pattern => ".*"
folder => "/media/BitTorrent/sources/"
}

where the rss is that of all new torrents on TPB, and the pattern accepts everything.

Unfortunately, no single file is created in /media/BitTorrent/sources/ ... :cry:

Can you help me spot my mistake please?
Also, where can I get a log of the automatic actions?

Regards,
Mat
Message 1 of 13
JarnoG
Guide

I posted the settings I'm using here.

The changelog from the Automatic website says that the "feed" and "filter" options are available since version 0.6.7 while the version available as add-on on this forum is 0.6.4 (it is add-on version 0.9.7 containing Automatic v0.6.4). If you're using the add-on it means you can't select different options for different urls/patterns. As far as I know, you will have to define the urls together like this:
url = {
"http://url1"
"http://url2"
}

You have to set one folder like this:
torrent-folder = "/c/media/BitTorrent/Sources"

And finally the patterns like this:
patterns =  { "pattern1.*"
"pattern2.*"
".*"
}

This basically picks all the recognized patterns from all the urls and puts them in one folder. From the config file you show, that is exactly what you want to do, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Message 2 of 13
VirtualMe1
Aspirant

"feed" and "filter" options are available since version 0.6.7 while the version available as add-on on this forum is 0.6.4

True indeed! Thanks for noticing, I corrected the config file (after having stopped the automatic service). 🙂

Unfortunately, there is still something wrong, and I do not know why: Where can I check the log made by Automatic?
It appears to be running in the ReadyNAS frontview, but I do not know if it connects successfully to the ip and port given. Nor do I know about its complainings... :roll:
Message 3 of 13
JarnoG
Guide

The log is in the same folder as automatic.conf.

What you can do is copy the config file i used and see if it works. It basically downloads everything on the rss feed and tells Transmission to download it without using the Transmission watch-dir.
Message 4 of 13
VirtualMe1
Aspirant

The log is in the same folder as automatic.conf

Which file is it? I do not see anything that look like it.
Where can I see to command used to launch the daemon? I guess I could edit it to get/set the destination file.

copy the config file i used and see if it works

It works! :shock: Well I got a lesson on pragmatism today!
Thank you very much for your help. I guess I have to trace back the issue to the rss url. I'll investigate this further, modifying only the rss url first, the pattern next.

Best regards,
Mat
Message 5 of 13
VirtualMe1
Aspirant

Does anyone knows what the trouble could be with this rss thread [that does NOT work with automatic]?
http://showrss.karmorra.info/rss.php?user_id=110935&hd=2&proper=null

Via, say, google reader, I get entries giving me a proper torrent file (and successful download thereafter).

Yet comparing it with this rss thread [that DOES work with automatic]
http://www.ezrss.it/search/index.php?show_name=The+Big+Bang+Theory&show_name_exact=true&mode=rss

the only difference I can see (in Firefox's preview) is that the torrent file get a size =! 0bytes (as in the first link above).

Can that be the reason for the problem?
Message 6 of 13
JarnoG
Guide

I've got a file named "automatic.log" in the same folder as automatic.conf. It shows the logs of the torrents is adds (or tries to).

Besides the filesize, the eztv feed also has a tag named "torrent" with some info and a magnet link.

What happens if you set "use-transmission=no"? Does it download the torrent files properly?

Btw, I noticed on the website from your feed that you can specify a path to your Transmission and it adds the feed automatically. You could use that if you don't mind opening Transmissions rpc port to the Internet.
You can also make a couple of settings about the "link type". Not sure what it does, but it might change the links to the torrent files.
Message 7 of 13
VirtualMe1
Aspirant

I've got a file named "automatic.log" in the same folder as automatic.conf. It shows the logs of the torrents is adds (or tries to).

I do not have the log file. and I do not know by which file/script Automatic is actually launched, so that I cannot configure the corresponding command line.

What happens if you set "use-transmission=no"? Does it download the torrent files properly?

Using your RSS feed, yes, it works just the same as with "use-transmission=yes"

you can specify a path to your Transmission and it adds the feed automatically.

True indeed, yet I wanted to use the torrent name pattern feature of Automatic.

Nevermind, it is roughly working, you helped me a great deal in isolating the issue. Thank you! I'll post a follow up if I manage to get it to work as it should.

Regards!
Mat
Message 8 of 13
VirtualMe1
Aspirant

I got it to run with dailytvtorrent. Eztv was just fine in principle, but it seemed to me the service was often down.
Thank you for your support!
Message 9 of 13
Trial_Master
Aspirant

Where did you download Automatic v0.9.7 add-on?
Message 10 of 13
VirtualMe1
Aspirant

Message 11 of 13
Trial_Master
Aspirant

That's 0.6.4 I thought there was a new version 0.9.7?

Thanks for sorting out the mystery.
Message 12 of 13
VirtualMe1
Aspirant

It is mentioned above in this thread that it is add-on version 0.9.7 containing Automatic v0.6.4 .
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements