× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple NAS setup?

Natrat22
Aspirant

Multiple NAS setup?

Confused about how this works. I have a client who has three sites and they want to use three NAS all synced to each other, so each office has fast local access to their files but when necessary can also see other offices data.

Individual user permissions are not required. All users are allowed access to all data. What egnyte plan is required? Would one enterprise plan at $14.99 a month work for all three? Or does each NAS need it's own unique account? If so how is each NAS set to sync data from the others?

Ta
Nathan
Message 1 of 10
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Re: Multiple NAS setup?

Hi Nathan,

Here's how it would work, let's say you set up an Egnyte account under natrat22.egnyte.com. Then you have each of the 3 NAS devices link to that account which will enable continuous file sync. The bi-directional file sync will cause natrat22.egnyte.com to replicate /shared folders across all 3 NAS devices. So now any user in any location (even while out of the 3 offices) can access and collaborate on the same /shared folders.

In terms of what plan is required, yes only one Egnyte Enterprise Plan is required. Although the price you were looking at is per user. The Enterprise Plan has a minimum of 25 users.

Hope that answers your questions.
~ Johnny
Message 2 of 10
Natrat22
Aspirant

ok i'm a bit confused - is it only the enterprise plan that works with the ReadyNAS? The pricing page seems to suggest that but that would mean a minimum of $375/month. that can't be right.

What are the plans/pricing we would need to purchase to reach the goal described above? In the screenshots of the ReadyNAS setup doc there seems to be some other price too to do with $40 per instance or something?

could you clarify total costs and pricing to obtain what we want (3 x NAS, synced data across all NASs, one level of access to everything for all LAN connected users)

What constitutes a "user"? Is it a computer with a mapped path to a share on the NAS that is sycned with Egnyte? Does every different person using the share need their own account, or can everyone use the same account if everyone has exactly the same access?
Message 3 of 10
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Yes it's $40 per instance for the Group or Office Plans. Since each NAS needs their own instance it's $120 per month for all 3 instances.
The Enterprise Plan is $375 per month, but comes with unlimited NAS instances.
"Users" are individual employees. But in your case if there is no need for permission control and anyone can access any file, then you technically just need to set up 1 user and have everyone just use that same username/password.

~ Johnny
Message 4 of 10
BobbyMcKnight
Aspirant

So how does a small company 4-6 people in 2-3 locations get the most out of the egnyte system? Enterprise is too costly.

After reading the 'Hybrid Cloud solution' section on the office local cloud page (http://www.egnyte.com/online-storage/office-local-cloud-features.html) it seems that each office can have a readynas with office local cloud ($40pm) and this can all be 'shared' in the one cloud file server. The figure shows arrows (data?) going both ways - does that mean each Office Local Cloud syncs with the cloud storage?

If it's not syncing to the other offices then it doesn't seem any different to the cloud backup solutions that are out there. For example, Idrive is a NAS compatible cloud backup solution that only costs $50 per year for 50gb. This can backup continuously and be accessible on the fly.

Am i missing something?
Message 5 of 10
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Yes, each NAS in each office will have bi-directional sync with one cloud file server, which will create one central access point for all the users.

And in your scenario (since it's under 10 users), I would say to go with one Office Plan and get 3 instances of Office Local Cloud (one per NAS).
Message 6 of 10
BobbyMcKnight
Aspirant

Great - so I am ready to rumble with my OLC accoutn setup. I've got 2 readynas Pro units.

In terms of setting up the 2 readynas devices for separate offices I was planning to do the following:
    - set up NAS #1 with users and shares.
    - Copy over data from old readynas (using backup function in frontview) to NAS #1
    - setup NAS #2 with same users and shares as NAS #1
    - copy over data to NAS #2
    - setup office cloud with NAS #1 and start process of syncing ~50gb data to the cloud (i may do a test run of a smaller dataset initially)
    - setup office cloud on NAS #2
    - move NAS #2 to second office

Does this sound correct?

I assume that if someone from office 1 goes to office 2 they would be able to work from the local NAS but would just hae to map into different drive letters but be using the same NAS shares?
Message 7 of 10
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Yah, you got the gist of it. And if users move from one office to the next, it's just a different mapped drive, but it'll be the same /shares.
Why don't I connect you with our professional services team, their job is to help new customers get set up. I want to make sure your setup goes smoothly. Can you shoot me an email at jcheng@egnyte.com with your contact info?
Message 8 of 10
BobbyMcKnight
Aspirant

OK - below is a re-jigged workflow based on how I have had to do it. Our internet upload speed is slow so I am still only part way through the cloud server sync.

- set up NAS #1 with users and shares.
- setup office cloud with NAS #1
- Copy over data from old readynas (using backup function in frontview) to NAS #1 elc\shared folder
- start process of syncing ~50gb data to the cloud
- setup NAS #2 with same users and shares as NAS #1
- setup office cloud on NAS #2
- copy over data to NAS #2
- move NAS #2 to second office

Rather than letting the NAS sync 35gb+ of data once the files are copied onto the NAS should I use FTP to copy files to the cloud server?

Although this post suggest not to use FTP with local cloud sync: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/entries/58830-ftp-file-upload-how-do-i-ftp-files-to-my-account

If I was to use FTP would I temporarily stop the sync process and use ftp?
Message 9 of 10
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Stick with the sync. I know the initial sync process takes a long time for 35GB+ with a slow internet, but it's more stable. FTP is faster, but could run into problems down the line that might cause re-syncs (which would take a lot more time). My suggestion would be to just let everything sync during off-business hours (to maximize bandwidth) for a few days (depending on your internet speed).

~ Johnny
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements