× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need to backup the whole NAS itself into Cloud

Linda2
Aspirant

Need to backup the whole NAS itself into Cloud

Hi,

I bit of a background:
I have a ReadyNAS Pro 4, and already installed Office Local Cloud as an add-on on it. I also configured the client by ticking the Share and Private folders and mapping the only user I have created on the ReadyNAS (which I have the same user on CFS domain).

Of course, initially I don't have anything on CFS, but more than 1TB on NAS which needs to be backed up on CFS.

Question: Does this setup only backup what I have in NAS under certain folders? (is it /c/share and /c/private directories only?) Or is there anyway for me to simply backup all data that I have here and there under different directories and subdirectories in my ReadyNAS? Maybe in another wording, I need to just replicate my NAS data structure into Egnyte Cloud File Server and have a live backup on CFS as anything changes in NAS.

Any comment on if this is possible or not would be great. And also any answer to which folders on NAS will be backed up to CFS exactly.

Just letting you know that we don't want to setup the Egnyte to let the individual users in company to do a live sync to Egnyte. They already backing their data through TimeMachine into NAS.

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to see some comments pretty soon.

~~
Linda
Message 1 of 5
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Hi Linda,

There might be several different ways you can go about this. But first I'll need some information.

For the 1TB of data, approximately how many folders and files are there?
What is the internet bandwidth you are on? Is bandwidth usually pretty choked up during business hours? Does it completely open up after business hours?

Once I get that information I can recommend a good option and then connect you with our Professional Services team to accomplish it.

~ Johnny
Message 2 of 5
CloudFileServer
Aspirant

I would recommend using the Egnyte Data Migration service for the initial upload. After that you may even want to set the sync option to Real-time for continuous backup. File and folders that are accidentially deleted will be maintained in the Trash folder. Any changes in files will be saved as a revision.
Message 3 of 5
Linda2
Aspirant

JohnnyEgnyte wrote:

For the 1TB of data, approximately how many folders and files are there?
What is the internet bandwidth you are on? Is bandwidth usually pretty choked up during business hours? Does it completely open up after business hours?

Hi Johnny,

Regarding number of files and folders, we have about 20 folders and about 259324 files (used this command: find . -type f | wc -l)
The site's Internet Bandwidth is 10Mbps. Yes it is pretty choked up during business hours (Melbourne/AU business hours) and again yes after business hours it can be used completely for backup purpose.

Looking forward to have your advise asap.

Thanks,
--
Linda
Message 4 of 5
Linda2
Aspirant

CloudFileServer wrote:
I would recommend using the Egnyte Data Migration service for the initial upload. After that you may even want to set the sync option to Real-time for continuous backup. File and folders that are accidentially deleted will be maintained in the Trash folder. Any changes in files will be saved as a revision.

Hi CloudFileServer,

Thanks for your note, but I'm not sure if that's a good choice for us! And, indeed that's another hidden cost for Egnyte service.

Should the hard drive be posted to US? Any other data centre near Australia?

Thanks,
--
Linda
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements