× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission add-on thread

veehexx
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission add-on thread

starting the seed only requires the files to be seeded to be correctly pointed to.

there are 2 ways todo this:
1) in your transmission default download folder, place the files to be seeded, as you created them for the initial torrent creation. (eg: if you pointed the create torrent to 'SharpEnd' folder, then place 'SharpEnd' folder in your default download folder). add the moddified torrent from thebox.bz to transmission and it should auto-verify since the files already exist.
2) using Transmission Remote dotnet (windows program, aka TR), add the moddified .torrent file with TR using File > add torrent with options. point it to the .torrent file, and the folder should point to your actual source location.... /Media/BitTorrent/Seeding should work (NB: you dont need the trailing /, since TR will auto-add it - no harm adding it yourself, just for the sake of asthetics, // isnt as clean as / :))

that should do it.

for testing, i add the torrent as a normal download and pause it. this will show the folder/file structure it's using, and you can then simply move the folders/files required to that location and then force a re-verify.

since i'm home alone this weekend (gf out at thorpe park with mates), then if i can get my head around nzbget config files i might create a how-to guide 🙂 no promises though, but i only know about this from experience - it doesnt seem obvious to new guys how todo it on a local pc, let alone a special unfamiliar device like a NAS 🙂
Message 276 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

Veehexx

Thanks, I really appreciate your help and all the info - I will give it a go and report back!

A step-by-step would be dead helpful!

Have a good weekend

Oops, sorry, one more question......

When I created the torrent, I specified the file (/c/media/BitTorrent/Seeding/SharpEnd/TheSharpEnd-Episode1-1991-TVRip-mpeg4.mp4) rather than the folder.

So, am not sure what I need to put into the media/BitTorrent folder. I can think of 3 options.....
  • Just the file itself
  • The folder SharpEnd, containing the file
  • The folder Seeding, containing the SharpEnd folder and hence the file

Thanks!
Message 277 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

i think just the file, since your linked directly to a file.

im having issues with my 'create torrent' tool, so im going to have to run some more tests as the test file im using is not working!
Message 278 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

veehexx wrote:
i think just the file, since your linked directly to a file.

im having issues with my 'create torrent' tool, so im going to have to run some more tests as the test file im using is not working!

Yes, that seems to be right as it says it is now seeding and data is flowing out of the ReadyNAS!!!!!!

Next task will be to get "Transmission Remote Dotnet" set up as this sounds like a better way to interface with the ReadyNAS.

😄
Message 279 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

guides in my sig, MM!

TR connects to the RPC port of transmission. ie: the web interface port 8181. same login details, just a different (and better) front end on it!
Message 280 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

veehexx wrote:
guides in my sig, MM!

TR connects to the RPC port of transmission. ie: the web interface port 8181. same login details, just a different (and better) front end on it!

Thanks!
Message 281 of 921
tmuse68
Aspirant

I have just installed the 2.04 transmission add-on to my NV+. It is working fine with the defaults however, I would like to configure where it looks for a torrent file. I am assuming I must edit the .json file and have located it but have no idea how to go from there. If I right click the file and open with terminal it spews out the config and ends with [Process completed]. Can someone help with how to open the file for configuration? :?
Message 282 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

sounds like your on linux, tmuse?

you'll need to open it in text editor - double click it and select 'display' should work depending on your chosen distro.
and yes, your in the right area - change the watch folder command from 0 to 1.

ensure transmission is stopped prior to opening/editing the .json file.
Message 283 of 921
tmuse68
Aspirant

Sorry for not being clear. I am on a Mac. I thought I tried opening in TextEdit but maybe I was wasn't. Is that what I use?
Message 284 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

linux/mac - same thing pretty much 😛

the .json file is just a plain text document - so anything that can read it will do. Textedit should be fine.
Message 285 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

phantomwhale wrote:
Upgraded from 1.7x to 2.03

Everything went fine - but it's creating files and folders as "nobody" - whereas it used to do it as "data" (the owner of files on my "data" share).

I tried editing /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/start.sh from
 start-stop-daemon --chuid nobody:nogroup 

to

start-stop-daemon --chuid data:nogroup 

But then it just stopped loading, and I couldn't find any error log.

Has anyone else done this - and is there a more elegant (or possible) way to achieve this ?

Thanks,
PW

Sorry for the bump, but still having trouble with this a few weeks on - anyone got any insight or suggestions for how I might fix this ?
Message 286 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

SP isnt back for another week (early sept, i didnt see a date!), so might be worth bumping your question when he returns 🙂

i just use the standard setup in terms of permissions so cant help...
Message 287 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

phantomwhale wrote:
phantomwhale wrote:
Upgraded from 1.7x to 2.03

Everything went fine - but it's creating files and folders as "nobody" - whereas it used to do it as "data" (the owner of files on my "data" share).

I tried editing /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/start.sh from
 start-stop-daemon --chuid nobody:nogroup 

to

start-stop-daemon --chuid data:nogroup 

But then it just stopped loading, and I couldn't find any error log.

Has anyone else done this - and is there a more elegant (or possible) way to achieve this ?

Thanks,
PW

Sorry for the bump, but still having trouble with this a few weeks on - anyone got any insight or suggestions for how I might fix this ?

you must chown the binaries and the directories according to your change 🙂
Message 288 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

are you back around, SP or still on vaction?

i have problems with transmission still! 😞
partially completed downloads (0%, 100%, paused and seeding are not affected) still reverify when transmission daemon restarts.

also, if i change the perferences via webgui, the changes dont get written to the .json file. ie: any changes of preferences via webgui works untill transmission stop/starts.
Message 289 of 921
WyriHaximus
Aspirant

Hey I just installed transmission on my Duo running 4.1.6 and transmission can't find libevent-1.4.so.2 and libcurl.so.4 as suggested above symlinking older version results in /usr/local/bin/transmission-daemon: relocation error: /usr/local/bin/transmission-daemon: undefined symbol: evutil_strtoll anyone has a suggestion how to resolve this?
Message 290 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

try to install it again
Message 291 of 921
super_poussin
Virtuoso

veehexx wrote:
are you back around, SP or still on vaction?

i have problems with transmission still! 😞
partially completed downloads (0%, 100%, paused and seeding are not affected) still reverify when transmission daemon restarts.

also, if i change the perferences via webgui, the changes dont get written to the .json file. ie: any changes of preferences via webgui works untill transmission stop/starts.

I'm back

will take a look
Message 292 of 921
WyriHaximus
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
try to install it again

Doh thanks it works now :).
Message 293 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

thanks SP! 🙂
as always - SSH is available if you so require.

would it help any to consider moving to the 4.1.7 beta firmware, or would that have no fix for my transmission issues? (im thinking updated files)

on another note SP, are you willing to share the source code? im interesting in learning how addons are made and taking a working example should prove useful!
Message 294 of 921
alouch47
Guide

Hi.

I having a problem with email alerts from Transmission.
I was using the standard "email_alert" file that come preinstalled with the addon I think and I switched it to the one you give in the main post.
The problem is I'm using GMail as smtp server, and it requires whether SSL or TLS, plus smtp authentication and moreover on a non standard port. So the Nail command line in the script is not working

I'm not very confident putting my auth in plain text in the "email_alert" file, so I'd like to go back the previous file that was working fine.
Can you please copy/paste the code here for me.

Thanks in advance.
Message 295 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

alouch - i have it working with my gmail account.
infact, i think it was a simple case of whack your gmail address into the frontview email notification section, and transmission uses that - it just works.
Message 296 of 921
alouch47
Guide

veehexx wrote:
alouch - i have it working with my gmail account.
infact, i think it was a simple case of whack your gmail address into the frontview email notification section, and transmission uses that - it just works.

I have my gmail address in frontview, and I'm receiving frontview's mail (addon install, reboot, temps... etc...) but no Transmission emails at all 😞
Message 297 of 921
Ysbrand
Aspirant

Might be worth checking the permissions on the email_alert script. My emails were initially not working either until I found out that the script didn't have execute permissions.

chmod 755 /addons-config/Transmission/email_alert

Did the trick for me.
Message 298 of 921
alouch47
Guide

... So basic I missed it completely...
The script wasn't executable.

Thanks yjb
Message 299 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant