× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission add-on thread

veehexx
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission add-on thread

the .conf file that the addon (or atleast on the sparc addon) says to edit in frontview 🙂

im not infront of frontview, but it's something like /c/addons-config/transmission/transmission.conf
as the addon states, you do *NEED* to have transmission daemon stopped before you edit it.

you can access it via either windows CIFS share (\\nasIP\addons-config\), or via SSH using vi as the editor.

on my .conf file, it's the last line - something about enable watch folder. default is 0. set it to 1. the line above it is the watch folder itself. (media/bittorrent/source)

and finally, save any .torrent files to the media/bittorrent/source location, and transmission will auto add it 🙂
hth
Message 251 of 921
sdouek
Guide

I am using a NV+ Unit.

I stopped the transmission addon.

I edited the /c/addons-config/transmission/transmission-daemon/settings.json this is the file it says in the installed add ons to edit.

I found "watch-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent/sources/" and changed "watch-dir-enabled": 1

I went to demoniod followed there instructions including putting there text file in the directory I wanted to seed.

I used the https://"my nas ip address/ctransmission/ to create the torrent on my NAS Box
Torrent Name: nemsgifs
Directory or File: /c/media/gif/
Tracker URL: http://inferno.demonoid.com:3400/announce
Private Torrent: No
Then I clicked - Create Torrent

Finished uploading .torrent file created by transmission to demoniod.

Opened up http://"my nas ip addrerss":8181/transmission/web/ and torrent was there but was listed in the downloading tab. I got the message torrent not there in the tracker announce so I paused it for 3 minutes as instructed by demoniod. Resumed and I was listed in the tracker window of transmission as a leacher.

I went to another box ran bittorent and downloaded the demoniod .torrent file and became a leacher. That was also registered as 2nd leacher by demoniod and transmission.

Tier 1

inferno.demonoid.com:3400
Last Announce: Today 01:46:01 PM (got 2 peers)
Next announce in 55 min 32 seconds
Last Scrape: Today 01:44:07 PM

No activity on my end for downloading or uploading in BitTorrent or Transmission.

I have port forwarding set up to nas box running transmission - port 51413 both TCP and UDP and ports 6881-6889.

I also was able to download a random torrent from demoniod.

My Thoughts:
1) Do I have to copy my /c/media/gif/ directory to somewhere else
2) Do I have to open up any other ports on my router.

Anyone have any ideas.
Message 252 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

1 thing im not sure about:

when you downloaded the .torrent file back from demonoid, and you added it into transmission, did you change the download location to the /c/media/gif/ directory?
by default it will download to the default download location (duh!!) which wont be your /c/media/gif/ location.
if your on windows, then i'd recommend transmission remote todo this - http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/

heres hoping it's that, because im outta ideas 🙂
Message 253 of 921
sdouek
Guide

veehexx wrote:
1 thing im not sure about:

when you downloaded the .torrent file back from demonoid, and you added it into transmission, did you change the download location to the /c/media/gif/ directory?
by default it will download to the default download location (duh!!) which wont be your /c/media/gif/ location.
if your on windows, then i'd recommend transmission remote todo this - http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/

heres hoping it's that, because im outta ideas 🙂

I downloaded the .torrent file back from demonoid. Demonoid changes the file descriptor to it to "nemsfunnygif-[[Demonoid.com]]_6075453.4782.torrent".
Went to another box running BitTorrent not Transmission and started downloading it from there still no activity.

Should I try to copy the "/c/media/gif/" directory to "/c/media/BitTorrent/gif" and see if that works ?
Message 254 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

i've either misunderstood, or got you confused 🙂

ok, you upload the .torrent file (nemsfunnygif.torrent) you created to demonoid. demonoid asks you to re-download the tweaked .torrent file (nemsfunnygif-[[Demonoid.com]]_6075453.4782.torrent). you do this, and you add it to transmission.

what does transmission say about this .torrent file? 'downloading' or 'seeding' status?
by the sounds of things, you've downloaded nemsfunnygif-[[Demonoid.com]]_6075453.4782.torrent to the transmission watch folder, and it's auto added it to the default download location, and not /c/media/gif/. thus because its pointing to the wrong location, it's attempting to download the files again, and not use the ones you already have.

just to be clear, the 'create torrent' process is completely seperate to transmission; it doesnt do anything in the background. it's essentially 2 independant packages in 1 download/addon. it mearly creates a .torrent file. once you've uploaded it to the tracker, this .torrent file you have created can be deleted.

this is where transmission remote comes in.
download the demonoid .torrent file, add it to transmission & pause it. Now use Transmission Remote to move the torrent data to /c/media/gif/, and resume the download. this should verify the files found at the new location and start seeding it. aslong as your pointing the torrent data to the correct location, then it should have 'seeding' against the torrent in transmission.

alternatively, move the applicable gif folder to your default transmission download folder. this will save you having todo the Transmission Remote step.
Message 255 of 921
phantomwhale
Aspirant

Upgraded from 1.7x to 2.03

Everything went fine - but it's creating files and folders as "nobody" - whereas it used to do it as "data" (the owner of files on my "data" share).

I tried editing /etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION/start.sh from
 start-stop-daemon --chuid nobody:nogroup 

to

start-stop-daemon --chuid data:nogroup 

But then it just stopped loading, and I couldn't find any error log.

Has anyone else done this - and is there a more elegant (or possible) way to achieve this ?

Thanks,
PW
Message 256 of 921
sdouek
Guide

ok, you upload the .torrent file (nemsfunnygif.torrent) you created to demonoid. demonoid asks you to re-download the tweaked .torrent file (nemsfunnygif-[[Demonoid.com]]_6075453.4782.torrent). you do this, and you add it to transmission.

I do not download nemsfunnygif-[[Demonoid.com]]_6075453.4782.torrent to tansmission I download it to another hole different box running BitTorrent not Transmissions. Transmissions is still using the nemsfunnygif.torrent file

alternatively, move the applicable gif folder to your default transmission download folder. this will save you having todo the Transmission Remote step.

I guess copying the "/c/media/gif/" directory to "/c/media/BitTorrent/gif" will work, I will let you know.
Message 257 of 921
sdouek
Guide

OK veehexx you rock. copying the "/c/media/gif/" directory to "/c/media/BitTorrent/gif" started the process.

and Transmission Remote is great adds more features then super-poussin's web interface, (not knocking super-poussin he is the bomb also). I haven't figured out of you can create torrents using Transmission Remote that would be much easier for a noob like me.

Thanks agian
Message 258 of 921
joja15
Aspirant

Torrent complete email on NV+

I am using the latest SPARC version of Transmission on my Ready NAS NV+. When a torrent completes I am not receiving an email. I have verified that I can receive email alerts by using the send test email alert. In Frontview I have provided information for my gmail account and SMTP server.

Does the sparc version of transmission support email notifications?

if it does what might i be doing wrong?

I didn't try switching to the NAIL version because I didn't understand how to use it. I could provide the gmail SMTP server info but wouldn't I have to provide the account and access instructions to it also?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

- John
Message 259 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

i use my gmail account for email notifcations; it is a simple case of insert your gmail email (g-email?!) into frontview and transmission should work. no further SMTP authentication is required. if you get frontview test email/log alerts then you should get transmission alerts too.

i have found it only working with a recent factory reset of my DUO though, so while i havent tested my theory, it maybe that upgrading from previous versions is a bit buggy.
Message 260 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

I am really struggling to get Transmission to create a torrent file for me!

Have installed Transmission 2.03 and PHP 1.3. I can get to the Create Torrent web page and enter the following values

Torrent Name: TEST
Directory or File: /c/Media/BitTorrent/Seeding/Sharp End/
Tracker URL: http://www.thebox.bz:2710/announce
Private Torrent: yes

Immediately after I press the "Create Torrent" button I get the following messages.......

Warning: copy(/c/webroot/transmission/archives/TEST.torrent) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Result : Creating torrent "/c/webroot/transmission/archives/TEST.torrent" .... error reading "": No such file or directory
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 28

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 29

Any ideas? Do I need to create a folder or file beforehand?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Message 261 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

you on sparc or x86 release, MysteryMan?
Message 262 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

veehexx wrote:
you on sparc or x86 release, MysteryMan?

I have a ReadyNAS Duo and have done nothing 'unusual' to it!!!! How do I find out?

Ooops! That really reveals me for the newbie that I am!!!!!! :?

*EDIT* Doing a few searches makes me think that it is using sparc, as it is the Duo model!
Message 263 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

your correct - sparc platform 🙂
i'll see if i have the same issue tonight on my DUO.
Message 264 of 921
joja15
Aspirant

veehexx wrote:
i use my gmail account for email notifcations; it is a simple case of insert your gmail email (g-email?!) into frontview and transmission should work. no further SMTP authentication is required. if you get frontview test email/log alerts then you should get transmission alerts too.

i have found it only working with a recent factory reset of my DUO though, so while i havent tested my theory, it maybe that upgrading from previous versions is a bit buggy.

Could it not be executing the email script because of permissions on the email script? Everything else works fine. I am able to download a torrent, add a torrent, etc. I receive all other alerts and notifications through email. For exmaple if I restart the NV+ or have an error installing an add-on it will give me an email. When the torrent finishes though I do not get any email. Is there an easy way to check permissions on the email script?

I also tried changing the transmission start and transmission stop scripts to have my ReadyNAS user id and password. That did not help making the email alert work.

Thanks,
John
Message 265 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

MysteryMan wrote:
I am really struggling to get Transmission to create a torrent file for me!

Have installed Transmission 2.03 and PHP 1.3. I can get to the Create Torrent web page and enter the following values

Torrent Name: TEST
Directory or File: /c/Media/BitTorrent/Seeding/Sharp End/
Private Torrent: yes

Immediately after I press the "Create Torrent" button I get the following messages.......

Warning: copy(/c/webroot/transmission/archives/TEST.torrent) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Result : Creating torrent "/c/webroot/transmission/archives/TEST.torrent" .... error reading "": No such file or directory
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 28

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 29

Any ideas? Do I need to create a folder or file beforehand?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

i thought i wouldnt be able to sugest a fix for this.

but i have... remove the [space] in the folder name. ie: 'Sharp End' to 'Sharp_End' or 'Sharp.End' etc
escape character doesnt appear to work either (\). also, ensure you've got the case correct; linux is case sensitive.
works for me 🙂

looks like SP will have his work cutout when he returns from vacation. im having issues when my DUO reboots/shutsdown that torrents get re-verified on next start still.

i have noticed that the create transmission tool will auto-add it to transmission. since i havent proceeded to upload a torrent, im not sure on the effects with trackers that require you to re-download the .torrent once it's been uploaded. might be something worth noting...

@joja15 - permissions could be a cause. either SSH in and use 'ls -l', or use extplorer to view file permissions.
i've found another possibility; transmission.conf file - ensure the applicable email line is set to 'true'.
im guessing default is nobody:nogroup, 777
Message 266 of 921
joja15
Aspirant

veehexx wrote:

@joja15 - permissions could be a cause. either SSH in and use 'ls -l', or use extplorer to view file permissions.
i've found another possibility; transmission.conf file - ensure the applicable email line is set to 'true'.
im guessing default is nobody:nogroup, 777

Thanks for the tip veehexx. I am 99% sure I set the transmission.conf file to have email notifications set to true i.e. 1.

I will try out the extplorer to view the file permissions and report what they are set to.
Message 267 of 921
sdouek
Guide

I had a similar issue not being able to get emails. I ssh into the box and tried to run email_alert by typing in "./email_alert" and nothing happened.

Edited the file and put in my smpt server: "SMTP_SERVER=smtp-server.nyc.rr.com"

Then I changed the attributes to execute and read for the file "chmod +rx email_alert"

Then ran the script again, after that no problems, script executed and my email was sent every time I completed a torrent.
Message 268 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

veehexx wrote:
MysteryMan wrote:
i thought i wouldnt be able to sugest a fix for this.

but i have... remove the [space] in the folder name. ie: 'Sharp End' to 'Sharp_End' or 'Sharp.End' etc
escape character doesnt appear to work either (\). also, ensure you've got the case correct; linux is case sensitive.
works for me 🙂

looks like SP will have his work cutout when he returns from vacation. im having issues when my DUO reboots/shutsdown that torrents get re-verified on next start still.

i have noticed that the create transmission tool will auto-add it to transmission. since i havent proceeded to upload a torrent, im not sure on the effects with trackers that require you to re-download the .torrent once it's been uploaded. might be something worth noting...

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! No joy!

Here's what I put in:

Torrent Name: SharpEnd1
Directory or File: /c/Media/BitTorrent/Seeding/SharpEnd/TheSharpEnd-Episode1(1991)[TVRip(mpeg4)].m4v

......and here's what it spat out!

Warning: copy(/c/webroot/transmission/archives/SharpEnd1.torrent) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 21

Result : Creating torrent "/c/webroot/transmission/archives/SharpEnd1.torrent" .... error reading "": No such file or directory

Come back SP, all is forgiven!!!!!
Message 269 of 921
sdouek
Guide

MysteryMan I recreated your error:

Warning: copy(/c/webroot/transmission/archives/.torrent) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 21

Result :

The reason you are getting this error above is I typed a lower case m instead of a upper case M for the Mp3 directory.

Your error is similar:

I recommend checking your case of each folder and changing the file name to

Directory or File: /c/Media/BitTorrent/Seeding/SharpEnd/TheSharpEnd_Episode1_1991_TVRip_mpeg4_.m4v

Replacing any spaces, dashes and brackets with underscores like I did above.
Heck I would change the file name to SharpEnd.m4v just to be ultra safe and then start adding in the rest to see if that fails.
I also have been looking I believe the "M" Media should be a lowercase "m".
Message 270 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

:iagree:

seems the first incarnation of the create transmission tool has issues with special characters. it might well be the round&square brackets causing issues now!

purely for testing, try creating a new test folder & rename the m4v file with no spaces or special characters (ie: just a-z and 0-9).
Message 271 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

sdouek wrote:
MysteryMan I recreated your error:

Warning: copy(/c/webroot/transmission/archives/.torrent) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /c/webroot/transmission/transmission.php on line 21

Result :

The reason you are getting this error above is I typed a lower case m instead of a upper case M for the Mp3 directory.

Your error is similar:

I recommend checking your case of each folder and changing the file name to

Directory or File: /c/Media/BitTorrent/Seeding/SharpEnd/TheSharpEnd_Episode1_1991_TVRip_mpeg4_.m4v

Replacing any spaces, dashes and brackets with underscores like I did above.
Heck I would change the file name to SharpEnd.m4v just to be ultra safe and then start adding in the rest to see if that fails.
I also have been looking I believe the "M" Media should be a lowercase "m".

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-hi!!!! 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄
Did as you suggested by using dead simple names and, bingo, I now have a .torrent file!

Many, many thanks (and also to veehexx)

Let's hope the next stage (of uploading it) works OK!
Message 272 of 921
sdouek
Guide

Veehex is the one that gave me a better understanding of transmissions.

Hey super-pousin need an assistant I nominate vehexx 🙂
Message 273 of 921
veehexx
Aspirant

😄

im usually his guinea pig for DUO testing - i tend to find lots of bugs and issues.
that or im just very critical on how i like things to be plus i like to understand how things work 🙂
Message 274 of 921
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

I have now got Transmission to create me a .torrent file. This is going to be uploaded to www.TheBox.bz and their instructions state that once I've done this I need to download a copy of a slightly modified .torrent file.

When I have that, can someone explain the process for starting of the seeding, please? Is it merely a case of using the Web interface and doing 'Open' on the file?

Cheers!
Message 275 of 921
Top Contributors
Announcements