× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV V2 wont power on (ReadyNASRND4000v2)

sabbybali
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV V2 wont power on (ReadyNASRND4000v2)

Hi All,

I have a ReadyNAS RND4000v2 and I think it got fried due to power outage we suffered in street. Out of warranty for sure as it was purchased back in 2012, no support either.

Symptom of problem are, that when powered on from mains, power led glows for couple of seconds and if tried to boot; nothing happens. Tested hard drives, all good, responding but due to raid implementation cannot read these. Has anyone had any luck with similar incidents ? Is there any way to boot it using any external media ?

Hope to hear from others, who might have faced similar issue.

Many thanks in Advance,

Sabby

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@sabbybali wrote:

I was running RAID-1 with two disks, but having 4 disks in NAS. So I get total of 6 GB mirrored storage.

Ok.  If you have two RAID-1 volumes, then try R-linux for Windows (free utility).  http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are lucky, it could just be the power brick.  On systems with such bricks, power surge damage is often limited to only that.  If you are electronically inclined, you can measure the incoming 12V under load and see what is there.  Suitable replacements are available.

There is no way to boot it via external media.  If you have a computer with enough SATA ports, there are ways to boot that using a Windows Live CD and recover the data.  But I'm not the expert there.  I've only ever lost ReadyNAS's due to power supply failures and always have backups, so I have never needed to do that.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I am wondering about the disks, because 320GB is a small size.  If they are SSDs, there might be a compatibility issue - there are no SSDs on the NV+ hardware compatibility list.  If they are mechanical disks, they might just be old/defective.

As far as troubleshooting the chassis, It's cheapest to try replacing the power brick first.

If the chassis has failed (with intact disks) there are a couple of options.  Support can assist if you purchase a new ReadyNAS (though there might be an extra charge).  Or connect the disks to a PC and boot that PC up under linux. 

If you can find an inexpensive (but working) used NV+ v2, you can simply migrate the disks to it. You do need to be careful on the last option (for one thing, make sure you know exactly what model you are getting).  

If the disks aren't completely intact, then you are looking at data recovery.  Some users have reported good success with ReclaiMe.  Netgear also offers a data recovery service ( https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service ).  Recovery is of course expensive, with no results guaranteed.

Message 3 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, I was thinking he just grabbed any old drive to see if the NAS worked.  I, myself, have several old 320GB drives I have used for just that -- they are tanks.  But, tank or not, "any old drive" might have issues.

Message 4 of 11
sabbybali
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thanks for the help, I have multimeter and can confirm that power cable is showing ~12v on it, doesn't look like brick power. I have external sata docking; drives spin, and I can go to root partition but cannot access data partition ( due to raid), both the disks are hence good.

Both pair of my disks are 3TB, which is supported by NAS ( was sold by marketing it as 12TB NAS). Got my important docucments on it, and need these by end of month to avoid penalities. I had these documents completed last month, and forgot to back up on secondary drive.

The question is if anything can be done to hardware, which I guess, cannot be further investigated by booting from external device; as per your adivce, is there any restore mechnism I can try, such as press any button for 5-10 seconds to get to some secret menu? Tried reset; nothing happens, power button doesn't lit at all second time.

If I have to go for a new NAS hardware, any idea, which new NAS model will help me getting up and running without getting into data recovery and back up etc ? I do not wish to go out of pocket buying additional disks etc. I think if I buy similar hardware from eBay, Netgear will not support it ever.

Netgear products are very reliable, got few 24 port gigabit switch, even the ACXXX router, and many othe network devices, etc, never had any trouble or was too easy to fix. However this NAS hardware is the only one, which let me down; when I was relying on it most.

Thanks

Sabby

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@sabbybali wrote:

Both pair of my disks are 3TB

Oops. the 320GB drives were from a different thread.

@sabbybali wrote:

I have external sata docking; drives spin, and I can go to root partition but cannot access data partition ( due to raid), both the disks are hence good.

You are booting on a Linux PC?  Were you running RAID-1 (or XRAID) with two disks?  If not, what RAID mode are you using?

Message 6 of 11
sabbybali
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Responses as below:

You are booting on a Linux PC? 

No, It is a windows 10 laptop, with diskinternals software installed on it; and some modules such as partition recovery, NTFS recovery etc. Don't have license for raid recovery.

Were you running RAID-1 (or XRAID) with two disks?  If not, what RAID mode are you using?

I was running RAID-1 with two disks, but having 4 disks in NAS. So I get total of 6 GB mirrored storage.

Thanks,

Sabby

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@sabbybali wrote:

Ok.  If you have two RAID-1 volumes, then try R-linux for Windows (free utility).  http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/

Message 8 of 11
sabbybali
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB,

I will get this and gett my work going for now; and this will buy be some time to research for new NAS system.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Sabby

Message 9 of 11
sabbybali
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@sabbybali wrote:

Thank you Stephen,

I am able to recover my files and get my work going.

Many thanks for guidance.

Sabby

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@sabbybali wrote:

I am able to recover my files and get my work going.

Many thanks for guidance.

Sabby

I'm glad I was able to help. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements