× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RNDP6000: cannot access any administrative functions...but can access the data on the box

Uglydog808
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RNDP6000: cannot access any administrative functions...but can access the data on the box

I have an old ReadyNas Pro6 that I haven't used for years.  I set it up a long long time ago using a Mac Pro that I don't have anymore.  The software to access the ReadyNas was on that computer and apparently didn't migrate to this one.  Happily, I can access the data on the ReadyNas via the Finder on my MacBook.  But I cannot access the admin functions to add users and shares and do other administrative things.  I have downloaded and installed new Raidar software.  When I run Raidar it says it cannot find any ReadyNas storage on my network.    The picture below is what I got when I entered the IP address of the ReadyNas into my browser and then logged in.  I have turned the ReadyNas off and on a couple of times.  No magic there.  I suspect a software/firmware incompatibility between the old ReadyNas box and my Mac running OS 10.16.6... Can anyone suggest my next move?  Thanks...

This is as far as it gets after I sign in via IP address access.This is as far as it gets after I sign in via IP address access.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS RNDP6000: cannot access any administrative functions...but can access the data on th...

You shouldn't go straight to 4.2.31 if running 4.2.13. Update to 4.2.15 then to 4.2.23 then to the latest 4.2.31.

Try a different web browser or an older version of the web browser.

It sounds like there are compatibilty issues with your browser and the old version of RAIDiator-x86 that you are running.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Uglydog808
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS RNDP6000: cannot access any administrative functions...but can access the data on the b

Image 1-20-21 at 10.35 AM.jpgDon't know why the screenshot didn't upload...

Message 2 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS RNDP6000: cannot access any administrative functions...but can access the data on th...

Hi Uglydog808,

Welcome to the Community!

To access the local admin page of your ReadyNAS Pro 6 using the web browser, you should use https://<ReadyNAS IP address>/admin.

For the RAIDar software, can you try using the RAIDar 4.3.8 and see if it will detect the NAS?

Note: I have approved the images so these should show now on your post.

Regards,

Message 3 of 9
Uglydog808
Aspirant

BINGO! Thanks JohnCM_S.  Both suggestions worked: accessing the admin page via the IP address/admin, and Raidar 4.3.8 found my ReadyNAS.  Now I am having trouble getting a System Update.  When I check for an update on the Remote tab, it searches forever.  My ReadyNAS is on my network which has Internet access.  Ethernet2 shows Active.  Is there a setting I have to set to enable Internet access for the ReadyNAS?  When on the Local tab, when I click on Upload and Verify a pop up asks me to select a file...there are no files to select.  Is there a specific location where a file must be placed?  Thanks again for you help.  Major progress.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Uglydog808 wrote:

When I check for an update on the Remote tab, it searches forever.  

What firmware are you running now?  I think Netgear might have changed the URL of their update server (a long time ago now), and that it might be looking for a server that no longer exists.

@Uglydog808 wrote:

When on the Local tab, when I click on Upload and Verify a pop up asks me to select a file...there are no files to select.  

You need to download the firmware manually to your PC first.  For instance, from https://kb.netgear.com/000038793/RAIDiator-x86-Version-4-2-31

Then extract the firmware image from the downloaded zip file.  

Finally, select that firmware image via the pop-up (selecting the zip won't work).  You'll need to click on "upload and verify image" after you select it.55-System.Update.Local.Later.UploadAndVerify.png

After the verification, you'll be prompted to reboot to apply the update.

Message 5 of 9
mdgm
Virtuoso

There is an update order you should follow. If running older than 4.2.15 (https://www.readynas.com/download/RAIDiator-x86/RAIDiator-x86-4.2.15), I would update to that first. I think then it's something like 4.2.23 and then the latest 4.2.31.

Message 6 of 9
Uglydog808
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.  My old box is running 4.2.13.  I get what you are saying about my version looking for a site that no longer exists (hahaha, reminds me of the old days; I wrote code on an AS/400...my favorite error message was "pointing to a location that no longer exists"...got nowhere back then too...always wondered where it went...).  I assume the link to the site is hardcoded in the firmware and I cannot change it.  True?

Next, I downloaded a zip file with new firmware. I unzipped it.  I went to the Local tab and pressed Upload and Verify.  Nothing happened.  I pressed Choose File.  It says "no file selected."  Are these buttons looking in a specific location for the firmware?  Do you now what that location might be.  I unzipped and tested in the NETGEAR ReadyNas folder in my Applications folder.  I also tested this with the firmware unzipped on my Desktop.

Any thoughts?

Message 7 of 9
mdgm
Virtuoso

You shouldn't go straight to 4.2.31 if running 4.2.13. Update to 4.2.15 then to 4.2.23 then to the latest 4.2.31.

Try a different web browser or an older version of the web browser.

It sounds like there are compatibilty issues with your browser and the old version of RAIDiator-x86 that you are running.

Message 8 of 9
Uglydog808
Aspirant

Great suggestion on browser.  I switched to Chrome (from most recent update of Safari) and Chrome worked, allowing me to choose, verify and update.  Thank you!  I have now updated to 4.2.15.  I will step my way up thru the updates.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Uglydog808

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements