× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Remote - Cannot connect

nbroom
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Remote - Cannot connect

I have two ReadyNAS Duo v2 units in different cities. These units are setup to replicate from City A to City B each night using the Replication Service and this still works perfectly.

Earlier this week the ReadyNAS Remote service stopped working correctly for both units. From my PC I cannot access either unit (both showing offline). For testing purposes I checked both my iPhone and my iPad and I can access the unit in City A but not City B, so I know that the City A unit is NOT offline. I physically verified the unit in City B is up and running and I restarted it multiple times to try to clear the issue. Also, both units are still available in the Replicate Service so they are up and working.

I can access the City B unit shares and Admin screen if local to the network, but not across the Internet. I have attempted access from 4 different PCs and VMs with no success. I have removed my Remote Access account from the City B unit, added it back, and added a new user to try and test the setup. Again, I can access the unit locally, but not over the Internet. I have uninstalled the ReadyNAS Remote program and reinstalled it multiple times on multiple PCs.

Until earlier this week, everything had been working fine for months. Does anyone know of a Microsoft update that might have broken something? I know about the IE10 issues and use Compatibility Mode to view the Admin Interface locally (in City B). Is there any new issue with the 5.x.x.x network that is used to access our systems over the Internet? Has anything happened recently with this class A network space?

Thank you all.
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Remote - Cannot connect

nbroom wrote:
... Has anything happened recently with this class A network space?...
Nothing recent.

Though they shouldn't be using 5.x.x.x addresses, as they were allocated to RIPE in Nov 2010. Before then it was for experimental use, so it was ok to use in a VPN. But that is no longer the case.
Message 2 of 6
nbroom
Aspirant

Does anyone have a suggestion to fix this issue? Any ideas of what to test next?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Not sure what to test.

However you could try using FTPS to access the data (assuming you can forward the relevant ports to the both NAS). FTPS is secure, and works with the NAS (if you use the "explicit" mode). FileZilla is a good client to test with.

Do you need iPhone/iPad access? GoodReader has a nice FTP client, but won't do FTPS, only SFTP. That works, but is not encrypted.
Message 4 of 6
nbroom
Aspirant

Latest update. I had someone in City A connect to the ReadyNAS unit located there and add a new Remote user account for me. I can now access the unit in City A with the new account, but not the old account. This tells me the problem is with the Authentication Server that NetGear is using because the ReadyNAS unit is operating correctly, but it appears all the old Remote user accounts just stopped working.

Also, If you try to delete an old user account from the remote.readynas.com site, you cannot do so. It looks like it works, but if you just log back in with that same username/password it was not deleted.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It's good you found a workaround.

It's also good that City A and B don't use legitimate 5.x.x.x addresses. There are many assigned/in use throughout Europe, and if you have ReadyNAS remote installed you won't be able to reach them (and you'd be really toasted if you happened to be assigned one).
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements