× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Remote - "User not found" Problem

hornz
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Remote - "User not found" Problem

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem I'm experiencing with Remote?

ReadyNAS Duo v1
Radiator: 4.1.8
Remote: 1.0.9.78

I have the Remote client installed on my Windows PC and can log in to Remote from it - I can view my profile etc and it confirms the WAN IP address that I'm connecting from. I can test this from the Remote website too.

When attempting to lookup the email address I registered it with from the Duo v1 it always responds with "user not found" after a few seconds of searching. The Advanced tab also appears to be missing - though I can confirm that the lnconfiguration.xml is correct as I added it via SSH (from a previous issue surrounding an old DNS hostname). I've also tried searching for other known Remote registered email addresses and "user not found" is displayed in the same fashion.

My LAN is a standard affair with the Duo v1 having a DHCP assigned reserved address, the DNS hostname is all uppercase, the router IP address is the gateway and my DNS entries contain the router IP address, my ISP's DNS servers and one of Google's public DNS servers.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be causing this will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
hornz
Message 1 of 13
hornz
Aspirant

Still no joy with this, so tomorrow I'm going to re-apply the Radiator firmware, remove the Remote addon and refresh the xml files with reboots between everything.
Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Was the lnconfiguration.xml from a previous version of the add-on? With the current version there are two different lnconfiguration.xml files:
/opt/p2p/conf/lnconfiguration.xml
/opt/remote/conf/lnconfiguration.xml

These two files do have some differences.
Message 3 of 13
hornz
Aspirant

mdgm, thanks for the reply.

In fact I think I've only replaced one xml file in the /opt/remote path so I will check this when I get home. I'll post my findings later.

hornz
Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The /opt/remote one should be the only one needed to be replaced however you should make sure you're not overwriting it with a conf file from a very old version of the add-on.
Message 5 of 13
hornz
Aspirant

Almost there! I removed all existing ln config xml files via SSH and re-installed the remote addon. A quick reboot and then it was happily detecting my Remote account.

I'm not too keen on FTP with Anon access so I've setup FTP to authenticate via User only. I've created a User in Frontview via Security > Accounts with the name matching my Remote account. I've also enabled FTP on the desired share I want to remotely manage and added the user to it with write access via Share Access Restrictions.

Via my computer the Remote app shows my share listing as an empty directory, and via iPhone it says "Please make sure you have added your ReadyNAS Remote username to the Allowed list in ReadyNAS Remote...". Which I have done. One step at a time though so we'll see how this goes tomorrow as I need to get to bed now.

hornz
Message 6 of 13
hornz
Aspirant

Well I finally resolved all the problems. I think I hit upon most of the common things experience by other users so far; changing the DNS hostname, ensuring the versions are up-to-date etc.

Strangely though the final hurdle didn't appear to be a config issue on the ReadyNAS itself. In desperation earlier after repeatedly ending up with an empty shares folder on my Vista 32bit client and my iPhone, I resorted to creating a new Remote profile via a re-installation of the Windows app. I kept all the fields the same (including email address) with the exception of the username. I then removed my existing Remote username from Remote addon in Frontview and added the new one. Bingo, everything started working!

I've played about with the profile settings for Remote and I now have 3 active accounts; two of which I've attempted to delete, but I can always re-access them from the Remote website. Is this a known issue? I've revoked their rights from my ReadyNAS but it would be nice if they could be removed permanently.

With regard to Remote in general it's a great tool. People are quick to complain, certainly the iPhone app reviews are quite negative but I'm sure people aren't following the guides properly. Even after having to SSH in as root, recreate accounts etc it's still a far simpler solution than FTP/S and port-forwarding or setting up a Cisco VPN for the home user. Keep up the good work guys.

hornz
Message 7 of 13
aaduwaikh
Aspirant

I am facing the same issue on an NV+ Sparc based

I would appreciate a quick list on what I can attempt to test to resolve this. I am receiving users not found upon searching for the remote users on the add on, and the email invite is not working.

I havent tried rooting into the NAS or any of the trouble shooting mentioned in your steps.
Message 8 of 13
rdmarmotte
Aspirant

I have the same problem and I am also interrested in the list of actions required to repair my remote access.

Thanks.
Message 9 of 13
rdmarmotte
Aspirant

Well, I have solved my problem :
- uninstall Remote add-on
- connect by SSH with Putty
- delete /opt/p2p (/opt/remote/ is already deleted)
- reinstall Remote add-on from scratch

Have fun !
Message 10 of 13
aaduwaikh
Aspirant

rdmarmotte wrote:
Well, I have solved my problem :
- uninstall Remote add-on
- connect by SSH with Putty
- delete /opt/p2p (/opt/remote/ is already deleted)
- reinstall Remote add-on from scratch

Have fun !

Followed the same, BUT faced a lag when P2P folder was deleted
Reinstalled firmware and all was OK
Remote users now detected.
I am able to see the Readynas on an android smartphone and can get to the shares listing.
Now the error seems like an authentication issue - I am getting "Cannot connect to share Unable to login" upon clicking on any share.

Where can I fix these access permissions ?

heres a useful guide to SSH commands that I picked up as a newbie to putty - http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/247/Common+SSH+Commands#gs
Message 11 of 13
rdmarmotte
Aspirant

I have a similary problem with Android. My phone say that it "can't get share list".
I think it's a problem with CIFS authorization, but I haven't look for a solution yet.
Message 12 of 13
aaduwaikh
Aspirant

I have received a reply from Netgear tech support to test CIFS permissions.

I was able to access Netgear remote shares successfully on the NV+ using guest permission on an Android smartphone.

Nearly there...
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements