× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Transmission 2.42 on readynas : OK

rodolphedj
Aspirant

Transmission 2.42 on readynas : OK

Hi,

perhaps some of you try to build the last release of transmission on readynas NV+ (sparc).

it is possible ! :roll:
The web interface is more faster.

Firmware readynas : 4.1.8
previous addon : transmission 2.33 from super-poussin

prerequisites :
update libevent to 2.0.15
update intltool to 0.35

add :
/etc/profile
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

LIBEVENT_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -levent"
export LIBEVENT_LIBS

command line to build transmission :
./configure --build=sparc-linux target=sparc-linux --disable-nls
make –s
make install
Message 1 of 16
odbro
Aspirant

Hello,

Can you make a add-on file for this one? A lot of people going to be very happy for a file for this one 🙂

Regards
Message 2 of 16
rodolphedj
Aspirant

sorry,

I didn't know how do that. And I searched many days to build it due to dependance libevent and intltool.

I think the member "super-poussin" is the best man to built a secure add-on.
Message 3 of 16
AndreaS54
Aspirant

Can you please be a bit less cryptic?
How to make the updates? Using wget? To which urls?
The additional code should be added at the end of the profile file?

Thanks
Message 4 of 16
rodolphedj
Aspirant

Can you please be a bit less cryptic?
=> not understood.
How to make the updates? Using wget? To which urls?
=> make for libevent ( libevent-2.0.15-stable )
=> debian package for intltool (dpkg -i intltool-debian_0.35.0+20060710.1_all.deb, and replace binary extracted from /usr/local/share to /usr/bin)
The additional code should be added at the end of the profile file?
=> yes

1/
And don't forget before start :
Make a backup of transmission folder (/addons-config), libevent binary (/usr/lib) and intltool (/usr/bin).

2/
Here a copy of my folders needed to build transmission :
http://dl.free.fr/e1DRUWV3C
(all binary are already available due the "make" and "configure" from these folders)
from 4.1.8 firmware, sparc platforms and transmission package 2.33,
intltool = (dpkg -i intltool-debian_0.35.0+20060710.1_all.deb, and replace binary extracted from /usr/local/share to /usr/bin)
libevent = (execute in command line just a "make install" from libevent)
transmission = (execute in command line just a "make install")
Message 5 of 16
super_poussin
Virtuoso

2.42 addon is out
Message 6 of 16
rodolphedj
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
2.42 addon is out

Message 7 of 16
baygacon
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
2.42 addon is out

is there any plan to release this standalone for x86?
Message 8 of 16
phantomwhale
Aspirant

Everytime I've tried to install many of the latest versions of Transmission, I always get the popup error :

"The Transmission add-on encountered an error during installation."

A few seconds later come the three popup menus telling me to adjust my settings.json and it's installed. However, I have had problems getting any of them to actually start (they appear started in the frontview GUI, but via SSH everything seems dead and won't start).

I realise there is little support around this addon, so have been trying for a couple of months on and off to fix it myself. Does anyone know WHERE the error encountered during installation would be logged ? Or anyway of disassembling the "bin" add-on file to look at the scripts (maybe I'm using a share directory name than conflicts with the install, etc.) ?

Many thanks,
Ben
Message 9 of 16
super_poussin
Virtuoso

baygacon wrote:
super-poussin wrote:
2.42 addon is out

is there any plan to release this standalone for x86?

x86 verwion is out available in frontview , will also publish a link
Message 10 of 16
gibxxi
Guide

There's two minor issues with the x86 2.42 release;

Firstly it takes over 30 seconds to "start" when enabled in frontview, and once it starts frontview incorrectly displays a message that it failed to start (even though it does start successfully). So there's an issue between the frontview portion of the add-on and the transmission service itself.

Secondly, the service DOES fail to start once the NAS is restarted, and a manual restart has to be performed. This leads to the same behaviour described above, but it does start and can be used.

Currently not experiencing any other stability issues (i.e: crashing or high CPU usage) but this is more likely due to the fact i'm only seeding one item and not downloading anything else.

[EDIT]: Just checked the transtart.sh, transtop.sh and blocklist.sh files as suggested by super-poussin in this thread (although he's referring to the SPARC version);

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=52212

Anyway, the password for the admin user, as specified in these files is still saying "password1" even though I've changed the password for the admin user. So I manually changed the password for those three files to what I set via the web interface. Transmission still takes a bit longer to start up, but now says "Transmission Service Started" instead of "Failed To Start". Not tried a reboot or blocklist check as of yet, as the NAS is busy doing other stuff.

My guess, permissions issue on those three files?
Message 11 of 16
hamvil
Aspirant

Where can I find transmission 2.42 for x86 Readynas Ultra 4?
Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can find a link to the latest Transmission release in here: http://www.readynas.com/contributed/super-poussin/x86/TRANSMISSION_CURRENT.xml
Message 13 of 16
hamvil
Aspirant

Thanks. Why this is not easily reachable from either the readynas web site or from the frontview web interface?
Message 14 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Maybe super-poussin hasn't had time to post the link yet.

With my knowledge of the ReadyNAS SDK (http://www.readynas.com/sdk) and considering super-poussin's earlier posts the update is available for those who already have the latest version linked to on the site installed.

If you download the latest version in the thread and open it in a text editor you will find the available add-on XML link. When the add-on is installed, on RAIDiator 4.2.16 or later if you go to Add-ons > Installed, Frontview will check the XML file to see if it refers to a newer version and if so will provide a button suggesting you upgrade.
Message 15 of 16
danielvegas1
Aspirant

2.42 has been running nicely on my Duo for a couple of months now. The previous versions kept crashing. So, first of all, thanks to SP for compiling this version for us!

What always bugged me with the new version was the very slow start of the torrents. Somehow they just didn't get the announce correctly from the tracker and kept idling around. After a while, they mostly began downloading though.

For a couple of days I noticed issues with announces for all kinds of trackers and also at seeding torrents. They only show "Announce is queued" in the Tracker-tab of the inspector.

I searched the Transmission-bug-tracker for this, but it seems that this issue should have been resolved for a couple of versions.

Transmission hogs 98% of my Duos CPU, although nothing seems to happen there. There are a couple of hundred torrents in there, but it never choked before.
I tried restart/reboot. DHT is disabled, LPD enabled.

Does anybody notice this, too, or has a hint on how to resolve it?

Thanks!
Daniel
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements