× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Transmission constantly turns inactive

Wizball
Aspirant

Now done a memory upgrade and it seems to be stable again.

Wizball wrote:
BikeHelmet wrote:
Wizball wrote:
So with the info above does anyone know of any problems with down grading to the earlier firmware?

Problems? I think downgrading requires a factory reset, so you need a backup of all your data? That's the main "problem".

OK down graded my ready nas NV+ it does not have a memory upgrade and transmission is still stopping. I will have to work out what has changed as it never use to.
Message 26 of 54
mealerz
Aspirant

Wizball wrote:
Now done a memory upgrade and it seems to be stable again.

What do you have? NV or Duo?
I have a Duo and I think I'll just buy 1gb of ram for it to try. Otherwise I'm binning this and buying a qnap box. Seriously sucks, I wish I never upgraded to the latest firmware.
I can only think of resetting the box by pulling out a drive, resetting it to factory defaults (would that get me back to factory firmware also? ) then putting my other drive in a caddy and transferring all the data back to the nas again, which would take so long.

This has got to be permissions problem surely. Something is hanging and not timing out?

Does anyone have an easier way to go back a firmware upgrade?
Message 27 of 54
Wizball
Aspirant

I have an nv.
Just download the old firmware and used that to update.
Message 28 of 54
Russell_Coight
Aspirant

I'm getting the same problem.

Transmisison 2.42, RAIDiator 4.1.8.

top from SSH shows:
PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
21422 nobody 33 18 236m 142m 3952 R 6.9 64.6 8:35.64 transmission-da

With only 1 torrent going. I've tried a fresh install of Transmission with no luck.

Would a RAM upgrade help? Is it possible to restart transmission-daemon via SSH?

thanks
Message 29 of 54
noilly
Aspirant

Hi All,

I have solved my problem!

After months of my Transmission turning off every few minutes, it has now been running for over three hours straight downloading multiple torrents.

Steps I took to solve issue:

1. Install latest version of Transmission (2.42)
2. Stop the Transmission service
3. Navigate to and open the settings.json file (..\addons-config\Transmission\transmission-daemon\). Notice that on the fresh install of v2.42, the settings.json file has a value
cache-size-mb = 200

4. Change cache-size-mb to
cache-size-mb = 2

5. Save the file
6. Restart the Transmission service

Happy torrenting!

I would love to know if this works for others, so please post if the above steps solved your issues too!
Message 30 of 54
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

noilly wrote:
3. Navigate to and open the settings.json file (..\addons-config\Transmission\transmission-daemon\). Notice that on the fresh install of v2.42, the settings.json file has a value
cache-size-mb = 200

cache-size-mb = 2

Is the default value in 2.42 so high?

I found any value above ~20 caused stability issues in past versions. I think I had mine set to 8MB to cut out a bit of I/O without gobbling all the RAM.
Message 31 of 54
noilly
Aspirant

BikeHelmet wrote:
noilly wrote:
cache-size-mb = 200

cache-size-mb = 2

I found any value above ~20 caused stability issues in past versions. I think I had mine set to 8MB to cut out a bit of I/O without gobbling all the RAM.

200 was the default value!
Message 32 of 54
Russell_Coight
Aspirant

Thanks noilly, just made the change will let you know how it goes.

If anyone knows how to stop/start the transmission service from ssh that would be awesome to know.
Message 33 of 54
instantsquid
Aspirant

Hi,

Well after a very frustrating day repeatedly installing/uninstalling Transmission, rebooting my NV+, changing security mode between "Share" and "User", modifying JSON settings, ... (you get the picture) ... I thought I'd finally got everything working. I added a couple of Torrents and all looked good.

However, I've found my way here as I now have the issue where Transmission becomes inactive after a few seconds. I've tried the change suggested above but this doesn't appear to work for me.

At one point I tried to admit defeat and remove Transmission altogether - but it wouldn't uninstall. Software that behaves like this makes me very nervous.

Any other ideas guys?

Thanks in advance,
Ian.

ReadyNas NV+
RAIDiator 4.1.8
Transmission 2.42
Message 34 of 54
milanm
Aspirant

Hello, I can confirm that above fix appears to work for:

ReadyNAS Duo (sparc version)
Raidiator 4.1.8.
Transmission 2.42.

I've changed the memory in "settings.json" from 200 to 8. I might later increase to about 20 (it appears that I have 190 free right now).

I've had two concurrent downloads for the last 30 minutes with combined download speed of 1.5 Mb/s.

Previously, Transmission would crap out after 5-6 minutes. So, this is a new record. Hopefully, it continues to work.

Note: I am accessing Transmission GUI from my LAN. I don't know how it will behave once I try to access from work.

Note 2: I don't know how to start it up from command line? /etc/rc3.d/ has no reference to Transmission client. If anyone figured this out, please share.
Message 35 of 54
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

milanm wrote:
Note 2: I don't know how to start it up from command line? /etc/rc3.d/ has no reference to Transmission client. If anyone figured this out, please share.

I'm very curious about that as well. I'm not sure what actually starts the daemon. I looked around, but my lack of familiarity with older linux distros hasn't helped me any.

Something I've wondered about - is the cache size per-active-torrent or total? Because 200MB per active torrent would be way too much memory. 8MB total seems low, but being set to 8MB seems to work well.
Message 36 of 54
instantsquid
Aspirant

Okay, I've had another go with this today - yet another uninstall/reinstall, change JSON settings file (I set cache size to 😎 and Transmission has been up and running for a good few hours now. Fingers crossed this has fixed it!

Ian.
Message 37 of 54
baygacon
Aspirant

noilly wrote:
BikeHelmet wrote:
noilly wrote:
cache-size-mb = 200

cache-size-mb = 2

200 was the default value!

Not sure why it is so high considering transmission default is 4

I am still running 2.33, which also had cache-size-mb set to 200 which I have changed to 8, so it will be interesting to hear if it stops 2.42 from constantly crashing
Message 38 of 54
Imem
Aspirant

michelefaccini wrote:
I had the same problem which I solved using Transmission Remote GUI ( see http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui ).The interface is not complete as the uTorrent one but anyway it works...When I will have enough time, I will try installing uTorrent which is The One for peer to peer.....

Hi there any one get this to work?
Is there any permissions i need to solve?
in Connection...
Remote host : my nas name or ip
port: the port for Transmission or webgui port?
User name: admin
Password: password1 (its the default password for transmission)

I get timed out all the time...
Message 39 of 54
Mr_B
Guide

I use Transmission Remote Dotnet, aim it at the NAS IP, port 8181, user / pass admin / password1. (Well, i changed my password, but thats the default one)
I'm guessing your hitting the wrong ip, and / or port, best of luck.
B!
Message 40 of 54
Imem
Aspirant

Mr_B wrote:
I use Transmission Remote Dotnet, aim it at the NAS IP, port 8181, user / pass admin / password1. (Well, i changed my password, but thats the default one)
I'm guessing your hitting the wrong ip, and / or port, best of luck.
B!

AAA 8181 did the trik had it set to 8080
Thanks m8
Message 41 of 54
Mr_B
Guide

No worries, happy to be able to help someone for a change. Usually it's me needing someone to hold my hand, and walk me through it.
B!
Message 42 of 54
Aethylred
Aspirant

noilly wrote:

cache-size-mb = 200

cache-size-mb = 2

5. Save the file

Fabulous! This seems to have resolved Transimissions' problems for me.
Message 43 of 54
Sushiboy
Aspirant

Thank you noilly!

The "cache-size-mb =" at 2 seems to have cleared this problem for me. It had become such a nuisance that I downgraded Transmission to 2.22 a year ago. No problems with it to speak of, though the browser interface was, at times, a bit sluggish.

Before upgrading back to 2.42 I checked the cache-size in the settings.json file and, sure enough, it was set to 2. Apparently that was the default size for ver. 2.22, because I'd never changed anything in settings.json until today.

UPDATE: I spoke too soon. After re-adding some torrents it started disconnecting again. VERY frustrating. I really like the new features since 2.31, but they're of no value if it's constantly disconnecting. I'm back to 2.22.

Doesn't anyone have a way of fixing this problem?

BTW: I'm running 1GB of memory (and yes, my memory tests out just fine).
Message 44 of 54
fraserl322
Aspirant

noilly wrote:
Hi All,

I have solved my problem!

After months of my Transmission turning off every few minutes, it has now been running for over three hours straight downloading multiple torrents.

cache-size-mb = 200

cache-size-mb = 2

5. Save the file

Happy torrenting!

I would love to know if this works for others, so please post if the above steps solved your issues too!

Seems to have worked for me....a bit of time will tell.... Running 2.42 on 4.1.10 T3
Will update after a few days
Fingers crossed!!!!
😄

Been a few hours now, and still fine, completed 7 or so torrents.....
Message 45 of 54
fraserl322
Aspirant

Now been several days and I've had no issues, on the odd occasion if I leave the web page open I get a disconnected error, but just refresh the page and it's fine!
Message 46 of 54
kpturner
Aspirant

Seems to have worked for me also 😄
Message 47 of 54
clowrym
Aspirant

I find my DL/UL speeds are alot lower since 4.1.9, and as well with 4.1.10 T3, I have had my Cache set to 2mb since 4.1.9 T2. I used to see 1.5-2m down and 200-300k k up.... since the 4.1.9 update i typically dont break 1mb down and seem to be around 75k up average..... Also tried 4.1.10 T3 with no improvment!!
Message 48 of 54
essereumano
Aspirant

I'have the same promblem, I think, the service stop after one o r two hours and I must restart he service anytime, I try your solution and i see if work.
I hope, Thank you
Message 49 of 54
essereumano
Aspirant

Ok, it work, thank you very much
Message 50 of 54
Discussion stats
Announcements