× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Would you recommend ReadyNAS Replicate add-on

pszilard
Aspirant

Would you recommend ReadyNAS Replicate add-on

I have a few clients that I had installed ReadyNAS's and with the recent Replicate 2 announcement, I am wondering if I should look into this option.

I fully understand that all the problem postings may not represent a greater number of happy users, so that is why I am asking to hear back from all users. Happy or unhappy alike.

My questions are:

• Are you glad you bought it and would buy it again if you went back in time?

• Has it been reliable?

• Is it easy enough to setup and use?

• Have you ever had to do a restore?

• Do you use versioning and how to plan target NAS storage space

Looking forward to the flood of responses 🙂
Message 1 of 18
SummitComp
Aspirant

When it works, its a nice feature.
When it doesn't work it becomes apparent that its poorly documented.
I'm in the forum at this point because I have an issue with Replication and have not found any documentation regarding the log file error codes.
It's easy to setup and use.
Versioning is not documented so I have no idea how it works.
Snapshot is not well documented but I can guess how it works.
I've had to restore, this is a sore spot...
Each replicate job is a new folder that is linked to the previous, to restore I copied the file I wanted to an external USB drive. If any one of the links is broken the copy will fail and then you are stuck. You can't move or consolidate the resulting replicate jobs that I know of. This is another area that lacks documentation.

Not sure if I would buy again. Let's see how support responds to my email request and then I'll reply back.
Message 2 of 18
BMach
Aspirant

I use Replicate to do the back up for my small business.

I had a colleague working remotely and he had a Netgear NVX at his workplace. His files were backed up to my Pro and my files were backed up to the NVX. It worked well and provided security by remotely backing up two machines.

I am glad that I am running Replicate and I feel it does offer some advantages over paid cloud storage (fast restore by bringing the two devices together).

I use versioning and I have backed up small numbers of files this way without problem.

I am yet to perfect the art of moving data via a USB hard Drive to the remote device and doing a major update of data that way. This is my next objective - I wish the documentation was better.

Sometimes it appears to me that Replicate decides it needs to back up all of the data again rather than an incremental back up - never worked out if this is real or what.

I do wish the replicate sequence was initiated by the Source device rather than the Destintation device. Occasionally the Destination device has been off for some reason. As the destination initiates the session, I only notice it when I realise that I do not have emails. I always know when my source is down as this prevents me from getting to my data. This limitation also means that they cannot implement a report on exception scheme.

I have stopped using other commercial backup software - I still do a local backup to a USB hard drive hanging off of the Pro (frontview backup). This does not have versioning. It is intended to cover data losses during the day and in case of local problems is easier to access than going to my remote site.
Message 3 of 18
pszilard
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) done a restore? How about a versioned restore, e.g. a file that was say, 2 versions old?
Message 4 of 18
linusdunkers
Aspirant

Poor documentation, no support on this forum, expensive license for each unit, feels like a BETA-version so far.

I don't trust either the units I have (ReadyNAS NV+ v2) or the sync tool (ReadyNAS Replicate) so far.
I am still waiting for some help with my support case: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=64788

I would not recommend ReadyNAS Replicate today, maybe in a few months when it might be more reliable and stable.
Message 5 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

linusdunkers. Replicate on the Duo/NV+ v2 is a fairly new product. Replicate for the x86 units (Ultra/Pro) has been around a lot longer.
Message 6 of 18
linusdunkers
Aspirant

My post was regarding ReadyNAS Replicate for ReadyNAS NV+ v2, answering the questions below:

Are you glad you bought it and would buy it again if you went back in time? - No and no. Not until the problems are solved and the expected functionality is in place.
Has it been reliable? - No. There have been numerous of problems for me regarding ReadyNAS Replicate and ReadyNAS NV+ v2.
Is it easy enough to setup and use? - Easy if you just follow wizard but not well documented what difference the "advanced" options actually make.
Have you ever had to do a restore? - Not been able to make a "real" backup so far, so no possibility to test restore.
Do you use versioning and how to plan target NAS storage space - I have used default setting "unlimited" so there will be unlimited versions with incremental backup but the documentation about how this is done is nowhere to find. I have my main NAS device as a backup device near the computers I run backups on, then I use a secondary backup NAS to replicate the data to another location if something would happen with my apartment (fire etc) destroying both main NAS and computers.
Message 7 of 18
DrJones
Aspirant

pszilard wrote:
I have a few clients that I had installed ReadyNAS's and with the recent Replicate 2 announcement, I am wondering if I should look into this option.

I fully understand that all the problem postings may not represent a greater number of happy users, so that is why I am asking to hear back from all users. Happy or unhappy alike.

My questions are:

• Are you glad you bought it and would buy it again if you went back in time?

• Has it been reliable?

• Is it easy enough to setup and use?

• Have you ever had to do a restore?

• Do you use versioning and how to plan target NAS storage space

Looking forward to the flood of responses 🙂

Some initial thoughts, I'm tired & may post more later:

It's been a long and hard road getting it up & running reliably. Replicate is one of those things where it truly is the small things that make all the difference. It is extremely poorly documented and the support is, IMO, extremely unhelpful. The Netgear forum overall is a goldmine and the staff that regularly work this forum are excellent....except for when it comes to replicate. I don't know if maybe there just isn't enough demand/traffic that they don't assign staff to monitor it frequently or what....but I feel like I'm pissing in the wind asking for help here with Replicate.

I mean; check out my other thread re: files on the destination NAS being invisible; I believe I discovered the issue is that - for whatever insane reason - if you keep the default replicate job names, you often won't be able to see the files that are supposed to have been backed up on the remote NAS.

Think about that; you've invested probably a minimum of $2K in hardware & software (on the low end!) and when you go to browse your "backup", it's EMPTY. Doesn't exactly make you feel warm & fuzzy...

Anyway, I'm embarassed to say that yes, I do still keep Replicate as an option because it's so cost-effective. For clients that are smaller businesses but have, say, 200GB of data; most off-site storage companies would charge around $200/month for that, based on my limited research. Obviously, a system involving two ReadyNAS and Replicate enables you to create your own off-site backup for a virtually unlimited amount of data, and your only ongoing costs are going to be more hard drives! That's pretty sweet.

I guess I'm kind of bitter that it's been SO difficult to get it up & running, yet there were so many dumb, stupid things that should have been made obvious by netgear; for example, in my initial troubleshooting less than a year ago, after days of going back & forth with Netgear tech support via email, the netgear tech told me that having jumbo frames enabled will cause replicate to fail.

WTF?? If this is true, why does this not appear ANYWHERE in ANY documentation? Or did the tech just make that up?

Bottom line is......now, after hours and hours of frustration, troubleshooting, etc. yes it is working reliably.

Oh, another big quirk/problem; I have several different replicate jobs carefully scheduled in sequential order during the night when nobody is in office and wouldn't notice if bandwidth was a little slow. Well, if "Job A" takes longer than usual because of a larger amount of changed data and runs into Job B's time slot, Job B will just fail; it won't run again later or try to restart - it will just fail and will run again the next time you have it scheduled or manually run it, which, in my case is 24 hours later.

That is, IMO, a pretty darn big oversight/flaw.

Also if you have multiple jobs scheduled, there is no way to log into the Replicate portal and tell it to "run all." If one or more jobs fail, you have to either wait until it runs again automatically - and of course ensure that it completed successfully this time - or manually run each job, wait until it completes, run the next one, etc. Again, another big oversight. Such awful execution.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that there is anything similar to replicate on the market, or else I'd strongly consider it.

Anyway, sorry this has turned into a long rant, but looking back over what I wrote, I really am frustrated with what is basically zero documentation and support for what could be a pretty amazing product. I believe that Replicate could save a lot of businesses a lot of money, but the execution and support are so poor.....which is made all the more frustrating by the fact that Netgear makes such fantastic hardware and supports it fairly well!!!
Message 8 of 18
BMach
Aspirant

I am intrigued by the comment by pszilard "recent replicate 2 announcement" - is there a link to this.
Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

BMach wrote:
I am intrigued by the comment by pszilard "recent replicate 2 announcement" - is there a link to this.
I am curious about that myself - I am not seeing anything on this when I google.
Message 10 of 18
DrJones
Aspirant

http://www.netgear.com/business/product ... fault.aspx

Apparently replicate now works on non-x86 units such as the Duo & NV....
Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

DrJones wrote:
http://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readyNAS-replicate/default.aspx

Apparently replicate now works on non-x86 units such as the Duo & NV....
A license is available the Duo v2 and the NV+ v2 (ARM platforms). It is NOT available on the NV, the Duo or the NV+ (Sparc Platforms)
Message 12 of 18
SummitComp
Aspirant

In a nutshell, I'd like to know who if anyone has any "real-life" Replicate jobs running successfully day after day. We've been piloting this on 3 remote sites for about a month and have found after many hours of frustration that it is a poorly designed, poorly executed and extremely poorly supported product. At $210 per license you would think the product would actually work, for example as well as QuickBooks. The marketing material is slick but unfortunately the product is horrible!!

Shame on you NetGear for 1. releasing such a horrible product as something other than beta, 2. not supporting it once it's been released.
Message 13 of 18
DrJones
Aspirant

SummitComp wrote:
In a nutshell, I'd like to know who if anyone has any "real-life" Replicate jobs running successfully day after day. We've been piloting this on 3 remote sites for about a month and have found after many hours of frustration that it is a poorly designed, poorly executed and extremely poorly supported product. At $210 per license you would think the product would actually work, for example as well as QuickBooks. The marketing material is slick but unfortunately the product is horrible!!

Shame on you NetGear for 1. releasing such a horrible product as something other than beta, 2. not supporting it once it's been released.

I agree with your sentiments.

That said:

1) I have found Replicate Licenses available from BottomLineTelecom.com for $170 (approx) each.

2) I have 2 sites where it is successful on a daily basis with a third in progress....I have it going from site "A" to "B" successfully, now just need to configure jobs to (successfully!) go from "B" to "A" and we will declare victory.

3) Exactly what issues/errors are you experiencing with Replicate? Perhaps we could help you a bit here....
Message 14 of 18
Bigbearf
Aspirant

I have been dealing with replicate for the past week. I am trying to back up a ReadyNAS Pro 6 to a 516. So far I have not been able to get that to occur. I keep getting an error 50 or 51 and also something about snapshots.
Any pointers would be helpful. Does anybody know what port needs to be forward from the router. I have an AirPort Extreme.
Bigbearf
Message 15 of 18
DrJones
Aspirant

BigBearf wrote:
I have been dealing with replicate for the past week. I am trying to back up a ReadyNAS Pro 6 to a 516. So far I have not been able to get that to occur. I keep getting an error 50 or 51 and also something about snapshots.
Any pointers would be helpful. Does anybody know what port needs to be forward from the router. I have an AirPort Extreme.
Bigbearf

Replicate doesn't need any ports forwarded. You could try forwarding port 873, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I gave up on Replicate & learned how to setup RSync....been extremely reliable & happy with it.
Message 16 of 18
desktopguy
Aspirant

Hi,

I would not recommend it.
It's poorly documented, and badly supported.
The logging is terrible and cant seem to extract ANY useful troubleshooting data out of it.
Emails through their mailer on the replicate login page never get answered.
Tickets I open with Netgear (I have a priority dealer access) get closed with the issues ever being resolved.
The enterprise support do not seem trained on this and supply useful tips like re-stall latest version, stop/start service.

Internally, it works really well, every time I tale unit offsite, it all breaks.
Message 17 of 18
TonV
Aspirant

I've been using Replicate between an RN104 and a remote RN102 for some time now and it works perfectly! No port forwarding or anything, it works out of the box... Are your shares secured properly?

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements