× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: bittorrent not working

Gelangweilt
Aspirant

bittorrent not working

Hello!

my bittorrent downloads wont work.
when i add a torrent via file or link the download wont start.
actually nothing happens.

can someone share some ideas where i should start looking for the problem?
i went through all the settings again and again and i cant find the solution.
i installed transmission from the forum here as well already and it has the same result as the netgear preinstalled bittorrent download maanger:
no downloads or uploads.
i can access the NAS with all other functions fine:
file storage or media streaming with PC / PS3 or a/v receiver works great...

my setup:
router
pc
ps3
dnla av receiver
wlan printer
Message 1 of 21
Fayez
Aspirant

If you load up the torrent on your computer, does it work? Maybe the torrent tracker is down?
Message 2 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

i have no bittorrent client installed on my pc.
all other internet stuff is working fine.

i tried various torrent files, so i doubt the tracker might be the problem
Message 3 of 21
Fayez
Aspirant

Hmm. Well, there are really only two scenarios that I think can cause this problem (note: I'm not a ReadyNAS expert, just a fellow user)... Either the trackers are down (or inaccessible) for your torrents, or the ReadyNAS can't access/"see" the Internet. Have you set up your ReadyNAS to send e-mail alerts? If so, are those working? (that would rule out the ReadyNAS not being able to "see" the Internet).

Try a well-seeded torrent such as one from: http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/

Good luck.
Message 4 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

hi there.
emails dont work either.
any idea what i can do to resolve this?
Message 5 of 21
Fayez
Aspirant

Have you set up e-mail (put in an SMTP server it can use, username, password, etc.?)

Were you not able to get an OpenOffice torrent running, either?
Message 6 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

i tried the openoffice torrent and ubuntu, no result.
for email i set everthing up correctly, ut no email gets sent...
Message 7 of 21
Fayez
Aspirant

Sounds to me like your ReadyNAS does not have access to the Internet.

What does your setup look like? Do you have the ReadyNAS plugged into a router which in turn is what you use to access the Internet? How are you accessing the ReadyNAS (and the Internet)?

EDIT: I see you listed your setup in your first post. Can you please describe it in more detail (give me an idea of what is connected where and how...)
Message 8 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

i have a router with dsl modem
connected to that router are:
pc, ps3, readynas duo, denon receiver by cable and a printer, my notebook and iphone by wlan.
all devices (like receiver for internet radio, iphone for all kinds of stuff, pc etc ) have full and working access to internet, i see no reason why it should not work for readynas.

my ps3 / pc can stream video / music from readynas fine.
i access readynas via raidar 4.1.5 / firefox 3.5 from my pc for config and file transfers, and pc / ps3 for media streaming.
Message 9 of 21
Fayez
Aspirant

Very strange.

Here's two more things you can try, after which it may be time to call Netgear support:

1. Try connecting your ReadyNAS to a different port on your router (and maybe with a different cable too)... Hey, might as well rule out everything that you can...

2. Log into Frontview (https://<yournasnameoripaddress>/admin), and check your settings under Network > Interfaces > Standard, and make sure "IP assignment" is set to "Use values from a DHCP server".
Message 10 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

hi Fayez

i tried both suggestions, both without any success.
is there no official help from any netgear staff avail?

someone must know how to get this to work...
Message 11 of 21
Fayez
Aspirant

That's too bad. Sorry I could not help you to get it working.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that no one else has jumped in to offer suggestions. Perhaps you can try re-posting your problem (and being specific that it seems that your ReadyNAS can't "see" the Internet) in the General forum: viewforum.php?f=7

Of course, the best course of action would be to call Netgear support and let them help you troubleshoot.

Is this a new ReadyNAS that you picked up (which has never been able to access the Internet)?
Message 12 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

i had it working once. but i dont use torrents at all basically, but recently i foud a couple of vendors offering patches by torrent download.
which is why i wanted to try this again. only thing i changed was firmware on the duo. i have it about a year now.
but i have no clue what firmware update made the torrents unusable.
it is pretty frustrating actually...
Message 13 of 21
btaroli
Prodigy

If you search around you will find there have been a variety of complaints about the bundled BT client for a while. When it works it's pretty good. When it doesn't you're basically left gutting the entire config for the BT stuff and starting it fresh.

I have had significantly better luck and consistent behavior from the Transmission BT client, available in the community add-ons forum.
Message 14 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

i have the same problem with transmission as well.
Message 15 of 21
btaroli
Prodigy

Then I'm guessing you've got some kind of configuration in your network setup that's getting in the way, and trying to diagnose that in a message forum will be inefficient, at the very best. I'd urge you to call support and walk through the scenario with them. As the BT client ships with the firmware it should be supported.

I would, though, echo the suggestion of an earlier responder that you really should try installing a BT client on your computer and get that working first. I suspect you'll have difficulty there as well, since there isn't a great deal to configure on the NAS to make BT work.

Diagnosing the issue with a PC client might be easier too since you'll be able to more easily get diagnostic information from it. Once you've resolved the issues preventing it from working, then i'd return to the NAS and try using it from there.
Message 16 of 21
Grouty
Tutor

Hi Folks,

I was browsing for information on this type of problem and found this thread. I hope it is OK to "resurrect" it after a couple of weeks as it mirrors my own experience quite closely. No point in re-inventing the wheel. 🙂

I have a ReadyNAS Duo with the latest firmware (4.1.6) and the latest Transmission (1.73). I have my ReadyNAS connected to my modem through a gigabit switch. The switch connects my home network both by ethernet cables and a 802.11n wireless router. Everything works fine with the exception of the Bittorrent client on the ReadyNAS. I prefer Transmission to the built-in BT client and it has worked well until recently when I notice that any new torrent I add starts normally then reports "No such File or Directory". I have taken the advice I found here in this thread and have installed Transmission on my MacBook and have started the same torrents using the same torrent file and it works fine.

Now I know the ReadyNAS can "see" my network because I can move files around as normal. I know my network can "see" the internet because I am typing this on my MacBook over my wireless network -> my switch -> modem.

Things that might be relevant:

1. I have been away recently but I think this may have happened shortly after the last update to the Transmission add-on 1.72 -> 1.73
2. I noticed this before I restarted the ReadyNAS to finish the firmware update to 4.1.6
3. I no longer seem to be getting the email alerts that the ReadyNAS was sending about every change in it's state e.g. for a restart.

Now, I can't think of any way to check why the ReadyNAS is not sending emails now - but it is almost 1am here. 🙂 JUst for fun I went through the whole setup wizard t see if any settings had changed. I didn't see anything awry. If anyone else can help me out I'd be delighted to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Grant (I'm off to bed now)
Message 17 of 21
Gelangweilt
Aspirant

Thanks for your post.
My situation hasn't improved and i am sure that it had to do with one of the last FW updates.
I remember BT was working fro me one time.

Hopefully someone comes across this topic who can help..
Message 18 of 21
Fayez
Aspirant

I have to ask - have you contacted support yet? You may be waiting a long time if you are hoping that someone just comes across this thread and knows the solution to the issue...
Message 19 of 21
Grouty
Tutor

Just to let you know, I got the ReadyNAS to send out an alert email using the test facility. It got through to my work address without a problem. I had to wait until today to check it as I have no access to that account except from my office.

This tells me that the ReadyNAS has access to the internet so perhaps this is a Transmission issue? This is why I have not contacted support yet. I am not certain that a third party add-on is something they will take ownership of. If I am wrong then please let me know and I'll try to contact them. However, I have been down this road before and it typically takes days before a response is forthcoming and then it is invariably a question rather than an answer. This is naturally then followed by a wait of several days before the next question comes back etc etc etc. I generally find these fora are quicker for initial enquiries.
Message 20 of 21
LintonSamuelDaw
Aspirant

Check the DNS setting.
I had the same problem, but the DNS was set to some netgear supplied server.

Once I changed the DNS address to my gateway and rebooted the NAS, the torrents started.
The only thing that still seems not to work for me is the seeding setting. I can only seed indefinitely.
Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements