× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Centria as Stand-Alone NAS

toddincharlotte
Aspirant

Centria as Stand-Alone NAS

Hey All,

New to the forum.  Have had really good luck with streaming off my Netgear Centria in the past but my family has switched to a new setup.

We recently got an upgrade in service from Time Warner and in doing so, received a cable modem that has built in AC Wifi.  We are using that exclusively for internet. 

Unfortunately, that hosed our network attached storage because we are no longer using centria as a wifi router for internet.

My question is:  Is there a way to setup Centria to be used as a stand-alone NAS Router without being connected to the internet.  So far, I can connect via windows wifi but I get the "limited" exclamation point and cannot login into routerlogin.net.  

I have a 2TB drive in the Centria and would just like to use as a stand alone NAS.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Centria as Stand-Alone NAS

The router should still be accessible even if it's not connected to any modem. 

You can still access the admin page with or without Internet access. 

If you will be connecting through wireless, then same process and ReadySHARE should still be available just like before. 

When you connect to the wireless, see if you are getting an IP address from the router. 

If you do, then you should be able to access the admin page. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

This question really belongs in the router forum - I am moving it there.

Message 2 of 6
toddincharlotte
Aspirant

BUMP

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try configure the following on the Centria.

• Change the LAN IP of the Centria and make it in the same range as the main router
  • Configure the wireless settings (just in case you still need to use the wireless portion)
  • Disable DHCP
  • Connect the main router to one of the LAN ports on the Centria 

Once you have done the following, see if you can access the attached storage. 

Message 4 of 6
toddincharlotte
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

• Change the LAN IP of the Centria and make it in the same range as the main router
  • Configure the wireless settings (just in case you still need to use the wireless portion)
  • Disable DHCP

@ElaineM wrote:

• Disable DHCP

Hey Elaine,

I appreciate the input. 

Sorry I was unclear.

• This Centria will be a stand-alone wi-fi router that will not be connected to a main router and not be connected to the internet
  • The Centria's sole purpose will be to broadcast streaming media to locations throughout our home [WDTV pull].

This had worked fine in the past when connected to our cable modem and acting as broadcast for both NAS files and internet, however, without an internet connection, I am unable to access files and cannot even login to router settings.

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router should still be accessible even if it's not connected to any modem. 

You can still access the admin page with or without Internet access. 

If you will be connecting through wireless, then same process and ReadySHARE should still be available just like before. 

When you connect to the wireless, see if you are getting an IP address from the router. 

If you do, then you should be able to access the admin page. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7