× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enabling WiFi on WNR1000

Slatey
Aspirant

Enabling WiFi on WNR1000

Posted a new thread back in January about going wireless network with this router, but ended up going wired and used a USB adapter on the laptop. Main reason being that I cannot enable wifi on the router. After wired connection is set-up [as per guide], the guide tells me that the wifi led should be solid blue, but this has never appeared in the 6 years I have had this router. Now, that I need a wifi connection, the troubleshooter is telling me that it cannot continue and neither can set-up for wireless because there is "no working Ethernet adapter." on this computer. If this is the case, why does this computer have an internet connection? Any ideas on how to get this all enabled would be appreciated.
Model: WNR1000v3|N150 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Enabling WiFi on WNR1000

Try this,  if done correctly it will use default settings, SSID is Netgear and WIFI is turned on.

To use the restore settings button:

Locate the restore factory settings button on the rear panel of the router.

1. Use a sharp object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the restore factory settings button for about 5 seconds, until the Power light begins to blink.
  2. Release the restore factory settings button, and wait for the router to restart, and for the Power light to stop blinking and become solid green.

The factory default settings will be restored so that you can access the router from your Web browser using the factory defaults.

If after trying this you still have NO WIFI replace it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here's a link for the manual, I suggest you read the wifi setup setion. As for the PC if it has a wifi card be sure it's enabled.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR1000_UM_WW_26Jan09.pdf

Message 2 of 8
Slatey
Aspirant

Thanks searay. If that link is to the same manual that is on the CD, then that is what I have been using. This appears to tell me to set the router up using the wizard over a wired connection, and then set up a wired internet connection - no wifi card required yet, and there is none on this computer. At this point, it tells me that the wireless led should be illuminated - never has been from time of purchase. From there we go to configuring my wireless network, where it states that I can use an Ethernet connected computer to specify settings. This is where I get the error message about the non operational Ethernet adapter, and can go no further. Itis my daughters laptop I wish to connect wirelessly, not this computer. Am I missing a step somewhere? Regards,
Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Forget the wizard!

Copy the manual to your PC Desktop so you can reference it easily.

Message 4 of 8
Slatey
Aspirant

That link gives me the user manual, which does not come on the CD, but it tells me to use the set-up manual [which did] and wizard to set-up the router and basic internet connections, which I did 6 years ago. All factory defaults are still in place, bar the region, SSID and pass phrase. Logging in to the router takes me to a menu provided by the Netgear Genie - different from that shown in the user manual but with basically the same stuff in it. Here, wireless settings tells me that WiFi is off, but temporarily changing settings and applying them doesn't turn it on. Can't find any other enabling switch. Where to from here?
Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try this,  if done correctly it will use default settings, SSID is Netgear and WIFI is turned on.

To use the restore settings button:

Locate the restore factory settings button on the rear panel of the router.

1. Use a sharp object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the restore factory settings button for about 5 seconds, until the Power light begins to blink.
  2. Release the restore factory settings button, and wait for the router to restart, and for the Power light to stop blinking and become solid green.

The factory default settings will be restored so that you can access the router from your Web browser using the factory defaults.

If after trying this you still have NO WIFI replace it.

Message 6 of 8
Slatey
Aspirant

That was going to be my next question, but thanks, it is now working. Can't understand why it never worked from new with its default settings, but at least now, my daughter can keep her laptop up to date till I can get anther USB/Ethernet adapter in a week or so. Thanks again.
Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good News!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements