× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware upgrade possible ?

SuzieSmith
Aspirant

Firmware upgrade possible ?

The model is : Netgear N300 wireless ADSL2+ modem router DGN2200v4

I am currently running firmware version V1.0.0.24_5.0.8

The  'firmware upgrade assistant '  says ..... a  'router firmware upgrade is available' .... which is  1.0.0.66_1.0.66 ....... but it won't allow me to scroll to the bottom of the page to tick. ' yes update' 

Could someone  please send me a link to this (or newer  ) to upgrade my firmware ?

thanks for your help 

suzie ( first timer to community ) 😃

Ps ......My router is about 3 years old 

Model: JNDR3000|N600 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

SORTED ......

thank you you very much Michaelkenward ..

the zip/unzip app has opened the file in iCloud through airdrop 

many many thanks you you guys are wonderful ......did you all know that ???

Gee ...it's great ...I shall now proceed with the firmware upgrade 

thank you thank you 😃😃😃😃😃

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Software found under downloads - upper right on this page - https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DGN2200v4.aspx

Message 2 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

Thanks Netwrks Master .....been there .....no good .🙁

as I am only on an iPad Air I'm thinking I'm limited and  it isn't allowing me to open the download in Safari , Viber , Firefox or email to myself . I did get as far as 'browse' in one of them but then it wanted  a ....*cx file ...... or something so then I was lost !

any other suggestions ?

Message 3 of 16
VE6CGX
Master

When try to scroll down the update page, what happens? Are you clicking the right arrow?

Message 4 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

No right arrow here .... if this is the routerlogin.net  website  you are talking about where I can't scroll down on the  'router upgrade assistant ' page . The bottom of this page seems to be behind a HELP and SUPPORT panel along the bottom of the screen ...... and the screen does not want to allow me to scroll up to get to the bottom of the page on upgrading my firmware .

like the page  is frozen on the screen , won't go up or down .

kylie

Message 5 of 16
sir_bazz
Guide

@SuzieSmith wrote:

Thanks Netwrks Master .....been there .....no good .🙁

as I am only on an iPad Air I'm thinking I'm limited and  it isn't allowing me to open the download in Safari , Viber , Firefox or email to myself . I did get as far as 'browse' in one of them but then it wanted  a ....*cx file ...... or something so then I was lost !

any other suggestions ?

It should be asking for a .chk file.

Here's the direct link to the frmware.

www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200V4/DGN2200v4-V1.0.0.76_1.0.76.zip

Message 6 of 16

Remember, you have to unzip the file to get at the chk file.

I mention this only because in the past people have tried to flash their hardware with the zip file. It doesn't work.

Message 7 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

Thanks Bazz ...... and this brings me to the zip thingy and t Michaelkenward says I need to unzip .

ok guys .....how do I do this ?

remembering  I have an iPad Air .

Message 8 of 16

Hmmm.  Is there a Zip app in the iStore?

Or find a friend with a PC/Mac that can unzip it and hand over the firmware?

Maybe this?

How to Open Zip Files on an iPhone or iPad

or

iZip - Zip Unzip Unrar Tool on the App Store

First, can you confirm that you have been able to get into the web interface for the DGN2200v4? Can you navigate to the page where it asks you for the firmware?

I'd do a dry run of that, if you haven't already, before going to the hassle of getting zip software.

Message 9 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

Michaelkenward .....If by firmware you mean the *chk file ...thingy ...... yes I have got as far as that 

im a beginner here , so words like web interface , I don't understand .

will try those links you sent me ....thanks very much for your help .

im thinking if this gets too complicated , I'll just leave well alone , the firmwares  not causing me grief just thought after 3 or so years hvaing not upgraded it might be due . If it was going to be simple all good , if not no worries .

Message 10 of 16

@SuzieSmith wrote:
im thinking if this gets too complicated , I'll just leave well alone , the firmwares  not causing me grief just thought after 3 or so years hvaing not upgraded it might be due . If it was going to be simple all good , if not no worries .

There are times when it is important to upgrade firmware. For example, there was a recent flurry about a security problem.

In this case, the new firmware dates back to 12/02/2016. Unfortunately, I don't know if this means 12 February or the 2 December, but the notes for the firmware suggest that it is no big deal on the security front.

Bug Fixes:
Router fails to send email logs.
Advanced home page is blocked by Adblock on Google Chrome browser.
Can't upgrade router firmware using Genie app.
Router directs to Internet Setup page and not to success page after entering a Static IP.
Changes default wireless mode to up to 300Mbps.
Fixed issues with router login and password recovery when using chrome browser.

If you have never seen any of these things as a problem, the sky is not going to fall in if you don't apply it, especially as a Mac person.

The note does, though, suggest that it is pointless trying to use the Netgear genie to fix it.

By the way, going back to the original question:

"it won't allow me to scroll to the bottom of the page to tick. ' yes update'"

I have sometimes managed to trick things to work using the keyboard.

On a PC, the tab key will move you around the screen, the spacebar will check a box and the Enter key does what is says.

You can't see anything happening, but it does the job. The keystrokes may be different for you!

Message 11 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

Have downloaded the 'Excel' as your first link suggested but it does not appear in the 'airdrop' which is where the zip sends me too .

trying the zip/ unzip  download now .......

Message 12 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

Yes ....I was sent the Security flurry this week , which has promoted me to upgrade my firmware . What a mazed me with this Security scare which was put out middle of last year about Vulnerability with Remote Access and Password Recovery .... I was only notified this week !,!,!,

so so I have manually changed my password and made sure the Remote Management was turned off , which it was .

Message 13 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

SORTED ......

thank you you very much Michaelkenward ..

the zip/unzip app has opened the file in iCloud through airdrop 

many many thanks you you guys are wonderful ......did you all know that ???

Gee ...it's great ...I shall now proceed with the firmware upgrade 

thank you thank you 😃😃😃😃😃

Message 14 of 16

That's good news.

Hope it works to plan!

Oh, and after the upgrade, if, but only if, you experience trouble you may have to "factory reset" the device.

Sorry to bring that up, but if you do see anything odd in the device's behaviour , come back and we can do some more head scratching.

Message 15 of 16
SuzieSmith
Aspirant

Thanks hon .....keep fingers crossed we don't 😃

Am am currently downloading google chrome and drive to sort out this file , goodness I've been places I never knew existed  .

bit different to just emailing .

xx

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7