× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set wifi device data cap quota R6400

How to set wifi device data cap quota R6400

Hi All, 

My first post here, and my first NetGear device, so forgive me if this is known by all except me.

I would like to know how to set a monthly total data (Mb, Gb) quota for each device on my home network.

The R6400 router I bought a couple months ago is performing fantastically.  We have alot of devices on the network and the DIR-825 was excellent but with an updated ISP plan it just couldn't keep up with it all anymore.

Here is the thing, my ISP provides me with 100 mbps connection and internet of 500 Gb per month.  With 5 phones, 3 computers, xbox, wii, TV streamers(netflix, youtube), ... at 100 mbps we can eat that quota up pretty fast on the new online HD stuff.   There are a couple of the devices that I think are the most problemic in usage, but rather than pulling the power cords out of them I am wondering if there is a easier software solution.

What I would like, if possible, is to be able to set a monthly data bucket quota limit on each device.  Say there are 10 devices, I have 500 Gb per month for the whole lot, I would like to impose 50 Gb limit on each of the devices.  Or maybe 10 Gb on one and 90 Gb on another.  That sort of thing.

I am not talking about data transfer speed here.  I am looking at the total monthly usage capacity of each device which I want to set individually, and not necessarily equally.

My router R6400 has a page that shows the cummulative data usage each day, last month, this week, etc.  Is there a feature or addon to the router to use that data and setup chokes and limits for each device as it approaches a quota that I assign to it?

Is this possible, and how?

CPman

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to set wifi device data cap quota R6400

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You cannot set a per-device data cap.  You can set a total data cap under ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter.

Message 2 of 5

Yes, I see under the advanced settings for the R6400 there is a traffic meter.  You can set the monthly total throughput limit and what you want the router to do when the limit is reached.  For example, disconnect from the internet.

I was hoping there is or could be developed an expanded features version of this traffic meter.  One that allows you to set a monthly total throughput limit for each MAC or each manually assigned IP.  In otherwords, the same thing that is there now, but able to break it down more granular to each IP/MAC address.

Maybe this could be developed and rolled out in a new firmware update?

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Message 4 of 5

Thanks!   I put in a post over there at the idea suggestions area.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Add-feature-to-traffic-meter-control-to-enab...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7