× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moniter data usage per device

brian_adams
Aspirant

Moniter data usage per device

Yeah, yeah... I know, wrong category but I need help deciding on a product. I tried the pre-sales chat option but got bored after waiting 15 minutes and I can't find a forum where I can ask a question without mentioning a product.

I have an AT&T Arris BGW210-700 router/modem and I have something (I fear it's my Roku) that keeps sending me over my usage cap. I also have a TP-Link mesh, but I don't think that'll be a problem.

That modem does not allow me to see which device is using 70 Gb/day and more. We watch TV around 230 hours a week, and we pretty much just serf the internet, email and facebook.

BGW210-700

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

I am not aware of any Netgear product that reports data usage by device.  (It is the "Number 1" top requested feature for Netgear's Orbi products since 2018.)

Does the BGW give any usage information? (such as "month to date")  70GB/day works out to nearly 3GB/hour.  If the Roku is unplugged for one hour and usage falls off, focus on the Roku is probably appropriate.

Message 2 of 3
brian_adams
Aspirant

Hey, thanks for your response.

No, that POS does nothing of value. Well, it gets me internet...

I can see my usage at att.com, and I can see what I've used so far today, but of course it cannot tell me more than that.

I've looked into services like What's Up Gold, and others, but they all need SNMP or something specific that their "sensors" can see. Like a Cisco managed switch or a firewall. They can tell me how much ram, cpu or storage is being used on my server, but not a specific IP address. Retired network engineer 16 years ago, but I can't keep my hands off that "stuff".

Thursday the wife is paying someone to slit my throat, so we'll shut it off before we leave for the hospital and I'll be there over night, so I'll see what that does.

When I got up this morning, I checked, and at 9:00 am. we'd consumed 21 GB in our sleep. That's what, 2.4 GB/hour in 9 hours? I'm positive there are no viruses or malware, I see no unknown devices on the modem, so I don't believe anyone i steeling from me...  

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series