× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7960P Preventing intranet services (SSH, Bounjour, dropping packets)

schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7960P Preventing intranet services (SSH, Bounjour, dropping packets)

@camjones1708 wrote:

Also noticing the naming of the devices is being weird as well. 

Can't spot anything weird. These are the names the devices provide with the DHCP request....

Message 26 of 31
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7960P Preventing intranet services (SSH, Bounjour, dropping packets)

@camjones1708 wrote:

Picture of IP Allocation Table

This shows two address reservations for IP<->MAC pairs along with a comment. What should not work now??? 

Message 27 of 31
schumaku
Guru

@camjones1708 wrote:

I just noticed that after adding the static IP Allocation for those two devices, it seems that there are multiple assigned the same IP?

"...seems..." ...---...  where, how, why?

@camjones1708 wrote:

In addition, I can no longer SSH. Does that make sense?

No. Except there would be more devices on your network with that very same IP address why ever...

@camjones1708 wrote:

(I restarted the router after adding in those two rules).

Why ever...

Message 28 of 31
camjones1708
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@camjones1708 wrote:

I just noticed that after adding the static IP Allocation for those two devices, it seems that there are multiple assigned the same IP?

"...seems..." ...---...  where, how, why?

I included a screenshot in a previous post of the attached devices. There are two devices with the same IP: 10.0.0.8. 

@camjones1708 wrote:

In addition, I can no longer SSH. Does that make sense?

No. Except there would be more devices on your network with that very same IP address why ever...

I agree, that would be a router issue right? 

@camjones1708 wrote:

(I restarted the router after adding in those two rules).

Why ever...

The IP addresses were not changing after adding the rules. 

@schumaku wrote:

Can't spot anything weird. These are the names the devices provide with the DHCP request....

There are quite a few devices that all received my windows desktop name in the allocation table screenshotted.

Message 29 of 31
schumaku
Guru

The effect you are fighting ref. your RasPi and the random access does very well indicate there are multiple devices with the same IP address ou your network (LAN and WLAN).

Leaving the names alone (no clue what Netgear is riding since they have added this attached device detection): Are the systems on the network with fixed IP addresses? If all devices are DHCP, has everything be cold booted, starting with the router? Check the view with each device coming back to the network, review each device config, ...

Message 30 of 31
camjones1708
Aspirant

All are DHCP, so restarting seemed to resolve the issue. 

Current setup is AT&T modem in passthrough mode, Nighthawk in router mode with default settings excluding two static IP addresses allocated, and custom Wifi SSID/password. 

Thanks for the help! I'm not really sure what was wrong on the previous configuration, but this seems to have resolved it. I can see my printer as well.

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7