× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6220 stop to respond to DNS queries.

TeamT
Star

R6220 stop to respond to DNS queries.

Hi,

My R6220 router with firmware V1.1.0.34_1.0.1 stops to respond to DNS queries aproximately every 4th day. Restart of the router fix the problem temporarily. I have saved WireShark captures to prove my case.

Manually configuring the clients DNS to something else than the router's IP-address resolves the problem but is not a good long term solution. AND you can't configure the router to supply an alternative DNS-server like 8.8.8.8 to bypass the router.

Let me know if you would like to see the WireShark capture files and logfile.

Please Netgear, advise.

Kind regards,

TeamT

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
TeamT
Star

Hi,

My router has been OK for 27 days now. There are good reasons to assume that the bug has been fixed.

Kind regards,

TeamT

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 33

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TeamT,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 33
TeamT
Star

Short status as I have discovered that there are multiple threads on this issue on different router models.

A support case was opened on 21 January 2017. I have since then provided my assistance to Netgear:
- I have provided Netgear with WireShark capture files and logfiles to prove that DNS really stops to respond
- Different client and router configurations have been tested without success
- Netgear have via remote downloaded the config file and downgraded the firmware
- The hardware have (to my surprise) been replaced to eliminate hardware related problems
- Screenshot of status page have been shared

The support case is now with “team” and “engineers” within Netgear. I am slowly loosing patience but willing to give it a few weeks more. (The teenagers are begging for a new router and by now prepared to pay for it 🙂 )

My additional findings are:
- I have an indication on that the issuse is traffic dependent as the router did work for 10 days when we were on vacation
- Disconnecting the WAN cable for a few seconds clear-out the problem

My best guess is a memory leak or dead-lock situation in a DNS related process. Curious on what processes are restarted when you disconnect/connect the WAN cable.

Kind regards,
TeamT

Message 3 of 33
shofixti
Tutor

Have you had any updates on your case?

This bug just started biting me this morning.

On my PCs and such it's easy enough to bypass their broken DNS, but that doesn't work as well for mobile devices, guests, etc.

If they can't fix this, time for a new router I guess.

Message 4 of 33
TeamT
Star

Hi @shofixti,

Silence from Netgear. Have sent a few reminders with the following response:

2017-03-27:  ... the engineers are checking the data that we have provided. We will provide you with an update once we have some feedback from them...

2017-03-16:  ... Please be informed that we have forwarded your case to the engineering team and they're currently checking this case...

Will send a new reminder today. It's hard to assess if Netgear are putting some effort into this issue or not. However, based on that I’m not asked to provide additional information or take any action, my feeling is that they aren't prioritizing this issue at all. Strange to me, as there are several reports on this bug if you google on it. @DexterJB can you check things up with engineering?

The reasons to why I haven't given up is my technical interest and that i as part of my morning routine disconnect/connect the WAN cable for a few seconds and that prevents the DNS problem to occur. 

Kind regards,

TeamT

Message 5 of 33
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TeamT,

I do not have visibility on the engineering level but I can see on our system that it has been forwarded and assigned.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 33
TeamT
Star

Hi,

@shofixti, I got an update from Netgear that "instructions" are on its way but need to be verified with enginering to secure that they are clear. 

TeamT

Message 7 of 33
Tobro
Initiate

I have the exact same issue and see this problem going back years? How is that possible? If you aren't using any parental controls why does the netgear router have to act as a passthrough DNS server. It should be assigning the manually assigned DNS entered on the WAN configuration, not it's own IP address. Seems like a really simple solution.

TeamT, hope they get an update to you.

Message 8 of 33
TeamT
Star

Update:

Got a new firmware with some troubleshooting capabilities on the 28th of April. Installed it and the DNS bug showed up again at 1st of May.

I was instructed to start/restart the domain name relay daemon in the router by sending a command to the router via a web browser link. After restarting the daemon the router worked fine again. Issue is now back with engineering again.

My view is that this proved that the domain name relay daemon in the router fails (is killed or hangs) due to a bug. Very strange that the bug hasn't been solved as several users have reported problems during several years.

/ TeamT

Message 9 of 33
TeamT
Star

Update:

Got a new firmware to log the domain name relay deamon. Were able to get a log when DNS hangs. Log is now with enginering.

Had a quick look at the log. Socket numbers seems to increase for some reason and after socket number 1023 DNS stops. Disconnect / conect the WAN cable restarts the domain name relay domain and it works fine again.

/ TeamT

Message 10 of 33
thekent90
Aspirant

I also have a R6220 with the exact same problems. Quite relieved that it's the Netgear router that's causing these issues. Hoping for a fast release of new firmware!

Message 11 of 33
Seth21
Guide

Have the same issue. Internet goes out, all I have to do is renew the DNS and everything is good for another 1-4 days.

This is actually my second router. I sent the first one back and got a 2nd. Both have the issue. I downloaded the latest firmware a few days ago and have had a failure already.

I'd love to ditch the router and move on but I can no longer return it and I feel bad selling a defective product to someone else.
Message 12 of 33
TeamT
Star

@Seth21 just curious on how you "renew the DNS" to make the router work again. I have ony been able to find two ways to clear out the DNS fault.

- Restart of the router

- Reconnect / Connect the WAN cable (saw in the dubug log that the Domain Name Relay Deamon restarts when you disconnect / connect the WAN cable)

/ TeamT 

Message 13 of 33
Seth21
Guide

Login to router at 192.168.1.1; go to advanced - then connection status and click 'renew'.   It is nice because you can do it from your desktop as my router is downstairs and my office upstairs.

I'm about ready to send this router out to pasture and just move on.

Message 14 of 33
TeamT
Star

Router failed again. New logfile uploaded to Netgear. Same symptom again. When socket number reach 1023 DNS stop to respond. 

Message 15 of 33
Seth21
Guide

Oh nice diagnostics.  I will be honest, mine was failing every 2-3 days so I have another router connected and my new 'great' router is sitting next to it unplugged.

Hopefully we can find a resolution so I can start using it again or atleast fix it enough to be able to sell it to someone.

Message 16 of 33
grindax
Guide

Has there been any further update to this issue? It looks like there hasn't been any new firmware made available to the public for this router for quite some time.

I recently ordered the Netgear R6220 from Amazon and it will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I've been reading forum threads such as this, and now I think it might be wise to simply return it for a refund once it arrives.

Message 17 of 33
shofixti
Tutor

Candidly, I'd return it. I'd return mine if I could, but my window closed before I noticed this bug.

There is a hero on this thread working with Netgear Engineering to try and fix this, but it's been a months-long process for a bug that's just ridiculous in the first place.

In addition, having used the product for a while, I'm pretty convinced there are better routers out there for equivalent money. YMMV of course, depending on what kind of deal you got on the product.

Message 18 of 33
grindax
Guide

Thanks shofixti, I think I will heed your advice. There's no point keeping it in the hopes that Netgear will someday fix the issue, especially as it has already been so long since the issue was discovered. It isn't a new product, and still to this day there has been no fix forthcoming. I do wonder how such a critical bug can be left for years without getting fixed, and how Netgear can continue selling a known-defective product all this time. A router needs to be stable and reliable, without the need to keep restarting the thing.

I ordered it because it was available from Amazon UK for only £39.98. But if it can't be relied on, then it isn't worth anything to me. I'll need to connect some alternative product to my network.

Message 19 of 33
TeamT
Star

Update:

Got a message a week ago that Netgeer engineering now plan now provide a new debug firmware.

My router has for some reason decided to be more stable and has now been running for 10 days. Socket count is now, according to the log file, at 800. My best guess is that it will reach 1023 and fail on Sunday 😉

Now 5 months since ticket was registred.

/ TeamT

Message 20 of 33
joshuagreen
Initiate

I also have the same issue. Hope that these solutions may work

Message 21 of 33
TeamT
Star

Hi,

Just back from vacation. A short status update:

Got a message from Netgear. Looks like plans on a second debug firmware has been canceled. Netgear is now requesting same logs and WireShark captures that they already have got. To sum it up. I see no progress what so ever.

In a bad mood. Need kudos - or maybe a new router!

/ TeamT 

Message 22 of 33
Seth21
Guide

I certainly can't give any logs.   My R6220 has been sitting unplugged nexted to a working N600 that a friend had laying around.

What a mistake thinking I was upgrading my set up when I bought the R6220, it may honestly be my worst personal purchase in years.  I got no value from it and only headaches.

Message 23 of 33
shofixti
Tutor

All right gang - what's the best replacement router in the same price/performance class as this doorstop that Netgear sold us?

Terrible customer service. I don't know about y'all, but I'm done with the company. So sad that one of the best has gone so far downhill.

Message 24 of 33
TeamT
Star

Status 2017-09-04:

Netgear would, after 9 months, like to swap the 6220 router against a 6250 router.

Unbelivable, no interest what so ever to solve the bug. 

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7