× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6300 Readyshare Volume names suddenly replaced by Share names - How to reverse this change?

momar
Aspirant

R6300 Readyshare Volume names suddenly replaced by Share names - How to reverse this change?

My R6300 is a few years old now, and the Readyshare feature has been working okay. I had it set up so the 2TB drive mounted on my Mac and my two PCs on startup, and on all machines it would mount and display the volume name, "Photos."

However, all of the sudden, the Readyshare drive stopped mounting on all three machines. On the Mac, the server address "smb://Readyshare/Photos" would no longer work (and same on the PC)—thus the errors mounting on startup.

Now, in order to connect to the drive, I have to us the "Share" name instead of the "Volume" name. In other words, I have to use "smb://Readyshare/USB_Storage" and the volume that mounts is called "USB_Storage" instead of "Photos."

Does anyone know if I might have accidentally switched something? Anything else that could have caused this? Or any way to change the behavior back?

I have been on firmware version V1.0.2.78_1.0.58 for quite some time and can't think of any recent change I might have made to cause this (admittedly cosmetic) problem.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6300 Readyshare Volume names suddenly replaced by Share names - How to reverse this change?

Hi @momar,

You should be able to change the share name again from "USB_Storage" to "Photos" and have it show up on your devices. You may follow the steps below.

1. Access the router's UI.

2. Go to Advanced > ReadySHARE > Advanced Settings.

3. Click on the radio button beside the share name and click on "Edit".

4. A window will pop up allowing you to edit the share name from "USB_Storage" to "Photos" or any of your preferred name. The click on Apply.

5. The share name should now be changed and typing smb://readyshare/Photos should direct you to the ReadySHARE drive.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @momar,

You should be able to change the share name again from "USB_Storage" to "Photos" and have it show up on your devices. You may follow the steps below.

1. Access the router's UI.

2. Go to Advanced > ReadySHARE > Advanced Settings.

3. Click on the radio button beside the share name and click on "Edit".

4. A window will pop up allowing you to edit the share name from "USB_Storage" to "Photos" or any of your preferred name. The click on Apply.

5. The share name should now be changed and typing smb://readyshare/Photos should direct you to the ReadySHARE drive.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 3
momar
Aspirant

Thanks so much! I didn't know my browser was blocking the pop-up window! Without your description, I'd probably never have noticed the icon in the address bar!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7