× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: restart router remotely

kmb57
Initiate

restart router remotely

Im looking for software or app that allows me to restart my router remotely. I have a vacation home that has a wifi based thermostat.

my old router keeps dropping network, so I will need new router that ift stops working, I can log into it from anywhere and restrt it.

KB

Message 1 of 5

@kmb57 wrote:

Im looking for software or app that allows me to restart my router remotely. I have a vacation home that has a wifi based thermostat.

my old router keeps dropping network, so I will need new router that ift stops working, I can log into it from anywhere and restrt it.

What Netgear device are we talking about here?

Some routers support Anywhere Access. (It used to be called Remote Access.) But this relies on Netgear's cloud service and works only if the device is on-line.

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my router using the Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR ...

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Like @michaelkenward said, most of those services rely on being online to work. 

Which ruins the whole point of what you're trying to do. 

Maybe putting your modem/gateway and router on a UPS to help prevent it from going offline might be better to check into . 

Message 3 of 5
kmb57
Initiate

My existing router stays powered on, just loses connection to the modem and loses its wifi. Usually a reboot is all thats needed if I am out the house. I recently purchased a netgwear ac1200. Im hoping with my browser or genie app, I can reboot it if it loses connection.

Message 4 of 5

@kmb57 wrote:

My existing router stays powered on, just loses connection to the modem and loses its wifi.

Lost connection to modem = lost internet. (The lost wifi is a secondary effect.;)

So you won't be able to access the router from the outside world. Anywhere Access won't work without an internet link between the router and the modem.

Why does the router not reconnect to the modem?

Answer that question and you may be able to find a way around your problem.

I say that from bitter experience. For a while I used a D6400 modem/router in modem-only mode. When the power died, the network fell over on reboot. The modem took so long to connect that the router timed out and left me with no Internet.

I dealt with the problem by installing a modem only device and shelving the D6400.

So diagnose the dead Internet and you may be able to install Anywhere Access. Or the problem might just go away because the router maintains its connection.

I recently purchased a netgwear ac1200. Im hoping with my browser or genie app, I can reboot it if it loses connection.

Netgear AC1200 is not a router model number. It is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe their wifi technology. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

The bad news is that AC1200 is old wifi technology. It may not support the fancier features that you may need.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series