× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Total Packets Received with MAC Errors

11phc
Aspirant

Total Packets Received with MAC Errors

Does anyone know what "Total Packets Received with MAC Errors"  errors are?

I am getting a load of these on a GS728TP coming in to a fiber interface, and I cant find any reference anywhere on the web as to what exactly these types of error are.

Is it the source or destination MAC of the packet that is causing the problem?

Has anyone got any ideas on how to pin down further where these errors might be coming from? 

thanks

Model: GS728TP|ProSafe 24 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
11phc
Aspirant

Re: Total Packets Received with MAC Errors

Thanks very much, it is odd that phrase doesn't turn up anywhere in google if it's in your manual, but there we go.

Swapping out the patch cable seems to be what has fixed it anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @11phc,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As per page 214 of the GS728TP software administration manual here, the Total Packets Received with MAC Errors is the total number of inbound packets that contained errors preventing them from being deliverable to a higher-layer protocol.

If you want to find out on what ports are the packets with MAC errors are received, I suggest you to set up port mirroring on the GS728TP switch.  Select a port(s) as a source port(s) on the GS728TP switch.  Then, select another port as a destination port on the GS728TP switch where a PC with Wireshark installed in it is directly connected. Run Wireshark and observe.  It would be best that Wireshark would capture the packets with MAC errors from the source port(s).

Kindly read pages 223-224 of the GS728TP software administration manual here on how to set up port mirroring.  You may download Wireshark on this link.  As reference, you may check this link I found online on how to use Wireshark.  

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support regarding your concern. Attach the captured packets from Wireshark on the support ticket you have opened for it to be analyzed by the NETGEAR Support team.

Regards,  

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
11phc
Aspirant

Thanks very much, it is odd that phrase doesn't turn up anywhere in google if it's in your manual, but there we go.

Swapping out the patch cable seems to be what has fixed it anyway.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@11phc,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad to know that swapping out the patch cable seemed to fixed the problem. 🙂 

Since your concern has been fixed, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements