× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What's this "communication problem access Netgear Registration server" alert about?

brossow
Tutor

What's this "communication problem access Netgear Registration server" alert about?

Setting up my new-to-me GS724TPv2 on my home network. Every time I log in, it gives me this alert:

Error: there is a communication problem access Netgear Registration server, registration process is cancelled, please check your Internet connection, and register the product next time you login.

What does this mean and how do I stop it? It's very irritating, and not just because of the astonishingly bad grammar and punctuation.

Thanks in advance!

Model: GS724TP|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switches with PoE
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: What's this "communication problem access Netgear Registration server" alert about?

@brossow / @DonnieC,

I just want to inform you that the issue discussed here in this forum thread was already confirmed as resolved by the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  

It has been more than a month already and I observed that there were no new posts here in the community related to the issue being discussed here in this forum thread.  With regard to this, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
brossow
Tutor

Re: What's this "communication problem access Netgear Registration server" alert about?

Disregard. After updating the firmware, the message has gone away.

Nope, still there. Just took a bit to pop up. If I go to Help > Registration and click the Register link, I get this: "Error: The Registration Server is not accessible; please check your internet connectivity or try at a later time." My internet connection is fine; I'm posting this while connected through the switch. 😞

Message 2 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @brossow

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since you have updated the firmware, it would be best to perform a factory reset then reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  

Let us try this.  Kindly set a DNS Server on the GS724TPv2 switch.  You may set 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as DNS Servers.  Kindly read pages 53-54 of the GS724TPv2 user manual on how to configure DNS Settings.  Then, check if you will encounter the same error message again.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 11
brossow
Tutor

One of the first things I did was to update image2 to firmware v1.1.1.10, which is the latest version according to the support page for this model. I did a factory reset after that and went through basic setup (SNTP and DNS) but was still getting these messages. Just the same, I did another factory reset just now and am getting the same errors even after making the suggested DNS changes.

I see a new firmware (v1.1.1.13) has been released but is not yet listed on the product page. I'll try updating the firmware again, then factoryr reset, then configure DNS (again!) and see what happens.

Not to change the subject, but is it normal to have to start from scratch after every firmware upgrade? I've never experienced that with any other networking hardware and am quite surprised that's acceptable in enterprise hardware. Or is that just "recommended" and not strictly necessary?

Message 4 of 11
brossow
Tutor

Same thing after v1.1.1.13 firmware update. It's not like it's a big deal to clear the error message, but between those and the very poor attention to basic proofreading, it's hardly a great first impression with this hardware. It doesn't instill confidence. Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Any firewall rules (or mandatory proxies) prohibiting the (suspect correct configured) switch to talk to the Internet resp. the registration servers?

Message 6 of 11
brossow
Tutor

No, there's nothing at all. The setup is DSL modem > ASUS wireless router > Netgear switch > everything else. Aside from wireless clients, all traffic is going through the Netgear switch with zero issues. It's just the switch itself that seems to have issues. Even having said that, the switch is able to connect to an SNTP server without complaint. It's only talking to its own registration server that it can't seem to handle. It's bizarre.
Message 7 of 11
DonnieC
Aspirant

Same here ... just installed 2 GS752TP switches and every time I login via web browser I get this error:

Error: there is a communication problem access Netgear Registration server, registration process is cancelled, please check your Internet connection, and register the product next time you login.

Irritating seems the biggest effect is that I have to simply close the window ... but it's always worrisome to have a  pop-up error dialogue box that cannot be explained or fixed.

Model: GS752TP|ProSAFE 48-port PoE Smart Switch with 8 PoE+-port
Message 8 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@brossow / @DonnieC,

I inquired your concerns to the higher tier NETGEAR Support and got a feedback that a fix is currently being worked on.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
brossow
Tutor

Thanks. If we're really lucky, they'll also get a good tech writer to look over the warnings and fix all the errors there.

Message 10 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@brossow / @DonnieC,

I just want to inform you that the issue discussed here in this forum thread was already confirmed as resolved by the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  

It has been more than a month already and I observed that there were no new posts here in the community related to the issue being discussed here in this forum thread.  With regard to this, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements