× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blinking led but no internet connection

Cai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Blinking led but no internet connection

Hi i have a gs108 switch and i have it connected to my modem and my pc and it works just fine so my problem is that when i connect an ethernet cable from the switch to my tv or ps3 im unable to get an internet connection my tv recommended that i use a proxy then i may be able to get a connection which i havnt tried yet and the ps3 seems to not detect the ip

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Blinking led but no internet connection

Hello Cai, 

Welcome to the community! 

You'll probably need a router instead of a switch, a basic modem can only give a single IP address. Since you have used the PC, it already obtained the IP address from the modem. The reason why the TV and PS3 does not get an IP is because the modem can only provide 1(one). The switches' job is to receive and send traffic so it has nothing to do with IP addressing. 

I hope this helps, if you have more questions please feel free to ask. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Cai, 

Welcome to the community! 

You'll probably need a router instead of a switch, a basic modem can only give a single IP address. Since you have used the PC, it already obtained the IP address from the modem. The reason why the TV and PS3 does not get an IP is because the modem can only provide 1(one). The switches' job is to receive and send traffic so it has nothing to do with IP addressing. 

I hope this helps, if you have more questions please feel free to ask. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 4
Cai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for taking so long to reply but thanks for the help i wasnt sure if i was going about it the wrong way or not but now i see have to buy a router after all

Message 3 of 4
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Cai, 

No problem! At this point a router is what you need, we have gigabit NETGEAR® routers with more that 4 ports, please check our catalog on this link

Hope you find what you are looking for. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements