× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting multiple switches to same network

TheMattMan
Guide

Connecting multiple switches to same network

I have developed a problem recently where there wasn't a problem before. I have a Asus router connected to a switch, and from this switch it goes to another room with Tvs , PS4 etc connected to it. Out of this switch I have it ran about 200 feet to another switch in another building that runs to another router that only runs security cameras. I had what I thought was a bad network cord at some point and added the new switch and new network cables so if I had a issue with a cat cable again in the future it would just be replacing one or the other not a long one. The new router connected about 75 feet from the switch keeps losing signal. I can connect the router to where the switch is and I am good again, if i connect to the switch it will work then it will go out again. I am certainly not a expert in these things, but is there something I need to be doing differently in the settings or using a different cable to link the two switches? I go from a Asus router to a GS308E > to a GS308 > to a Gs308. I know I am not giving enough info, but any help would be great.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Not much to hold on here. Only effective troubleshooting can be done using the switches port LED link and activity LED lights.

Always suspect is reading someone added some new router. Out of the box, routers tend to be routers, doing NAT. allowing to operate a network on the LAN ports, while connected to an Internet connection. This is not transparent, certainly not from the new router WAN/Internet port to the new router LAN ports. More bad things can happen when connecting the LAN ports to the switches linked up to your other primary router, because you end with two DHCP servers active on the network.

A good start (after checking all the switches along the data path) would be to ensure that new router is configured to be operated as a wireless access point.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not much to hold on here. Only effective troubleshooting can be done using the switches port LED link and activity LED lights.

Always suspect is reading someone added some new router. Out of the box, routers tend to be routers, doing NAT. allowing to operate a network on the LAN ports, while connected to an Internet connection. This is not transparent, certainly not from the new router WAN/Internet port to the new router LAN ports. More bad things can happen when connecting the LAN ports to the switches linked up to your other primary router, because you end with two DHCP servers active on the network.

A good start (after checking all the switches along the data path) would be to ensure that new router is configured to be operated as a wireless access point.

Message 2 of 4
TheMattMan
Guide

I will give that a try. When all of the switches are connected they are all blinking and receiving/sending data from the lights. I was trying to put the new router into wap, but couldn't find the option in the phone app, so I will probably have to try it with a laptop or bring it closer to main router to use desktop. The last setup the router started going offline ever so often after years of being up and was sometimes hard to get back online and then would start going offline again, so I thought I had a router that was going out. So I bought a new one and it seems to run for 2-3 days and goes offline, so I reset it and it works again for 2-3 days and does it again. I even moved it and plugged it into the wire coming into the switch instead of the switch and it is still doing it. I will try the wap mode, and worse case run a longer wire directly into the first switch or directly into main router.

Message 3 of 4
TheMattMan
Guide

So far so good... I changed it to a WAP and it is almost a week going strong. I removed the switch in between also, but I don't think that was it. Thanks for the help!!

Matt

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements