× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105 and passing IP address

winc
Aspirant

GS105 and passing IP address

I have three VoIP phones connected to a G105.  The GS105 subsequently goes to another (larger) unmanaged switch with hands out DHCP addresses from my Sonicwall firewall.

Occasionally the three VoIP phones connected to the GS305 lose their IP address and cannot obtain another IP address even if the phones are power cycled.  However, if I power cycle the GS105, all three phones immediately get a DHCP address.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on here?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: GS105 and passing IP address

I would wonder if theres a green features on your smart switch. 

The GS105 is a simple unmanaged switch so it doesn't manage anything. 

So potentially the smart switch its connected to is disabling the connection and not re-enabling it for some reason unless the gs105 is rebooted. I'd be looking closer at the managed switch

Message 2 of 5
winc
Aspirant

Thanks plemans.  There is no managed switch in the picture.  Traffic goes from GS105 >  unmanaged HP 24-port switch > Sonicwall > carrier-provided Network Interface Device.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Got a long cable sitting around you can connect the gs105 directly to the sonic wall to test it?

Message 4 of 5
winc
Aspirant

Thanks plemans.  One problem will be getting the trouble to reoccur.  Since the GS105 is fairly cheap and running a longer cable will be a PITA, I am thinking about replacing the GS first.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements