× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re : GS308v2

arandomplayer
Aspirant

GS308v2

I don't know if that question has been asked, I gave a quick look to the community to see if they have the specific answer I need which is : does the switch absolutely need a router to work properly or it can work without it to connect multiple devices to internet at the same time?

I asked this question cause so far, either my modem doesn't allow me to connect more than one device at a time or my switchs don't work at all cause to get internet on my devices, I have to do it manually which I was hoping the switchs would do it automaticly.

I mean manually like I connect the device directly to the modem, and myself switch the internet cable between my device, I have been trying to use the switchs GS308v2, but it does not switch at all. I have to manually take the cable unplug all the device and plug only the one I want to get internet with like I was doing manually with the modem. So that's why I wonder if the switch does absolutely need a router to switch automaticly or I bought the wrong device for my need which is to connect bunch of devices to the internet all the time.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
arandomplayer
Aspirant

thanks for your suggestion, but I found or "accepted" a way to fix my problem, I took back my old router, I had some difficulty with the wifi, but I closed the wifi on my old routeur and just use the ports, it works fine, so far plus I can use the two gs308 with it, I have connected all my devices on all the port of the switchs and just one on my routeur and I'm able to stream on all my device at the same time without any delay relate to my network. I was surprise cause I didn't think my old router would be able, still just hope it keep that way for ever, would be nice.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS308v2

Hello arandomplayer, 

Welcome to the community! 

You need a router instead of a switch, a basic modem can only give a single IP address. Since you have used that single IP there will be no available IP addresses for other devices, that is the reason why they cannot connect at the same time to the internet.  The difference between a router and a (passthrough) switch is the DHCP server function and NAT, what it does is translate the public IP address coming from the modem and convert it to a pool of private IP addresses. The GS308v2 is only a passthrough switch and it does not have capabilities to give our IP addreses to your devices. 

If you have more questions pleae let us know. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
arandomplayer
Aspirant

Thanks, I though it was the case, but I wasn't sure cause I need high speed download and upload device and the information I received was just the speed the switch give and not the restriction such as the ip address, so I might keep some of my switch to build a private network for some of my projects. if you have any information for a high speed router with lot of port without wireless, let me know, otherwise I might get a few routers.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi arandomplayer, 

You may want to check this data sheet that shows the comparison of the ProSAFE VPN Firewalls that might fit your network needs. 🙂

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
arandomplayer
Aspirant

thanks for your suggestion, but I found or "accepted" a way to fix my problem, I took back my old router, I had some difficulty with the wifi, but I closed the wifi on my old routeur and just use the ports, it works fine, so far plus I can use the two gs308 with it, I have connected all my devices on all the port of the switchs and just one on my routeur and I'm able to stream on all my device at the same time without any delay relate to my network. I was surprise cause I didn't think my old router would be able, still just hope it keep that way for ever, would be nice.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements