× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS316 switch dropping link with some NICs

growly
Tutor

GS316 switch dropping link with some NICs

This is very weird. I have two examples of this switch misbehaving when establishing a link:

1) Currently, when I connect my PC to any port (using multiple different cables), the connection drops randomly every 1-2 hours and immediately re-establishes. If I turn off autonegotiation and force 1000 full duplex, it happens less often. I've seen the problem in Windows and Linux on the same machine. When I plug the machine into a different switch, there aren no problems. (The PC has an Asus Prime X570-Pro motherboard with an Intel I211 NIC onboard, using igb module under Debian testing with Linux 5.10/Windows 10 Microsoft drivers). 

2) Previously, when plugging the Aquantia 5 gbps chipset of an Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II, no link could ever be established. The port would work when plugged into a different switch though.

In each case I have tried multiple different cables so they are likely not the problem.

It looks like this switch can't auto-negotiate with all chipsets, which is weird, and which leads me to think there's some problem with its implementation.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there anyway to diagnose?

Also, the product brochure says "lifetime warrant", but I can no longer get support for it. Can it be RMA'd?

Model: GS316|16 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS316 switch dropping link with some NICs

@growly,

Are the software drivers of the LAN adapter of PCs you are on the latest version?  If not yet, kindly update it then check if the same problem will occur. 

Also, the product brochure says "lifetime warrant", but I can no longer get support for it. Can it be RMA'd?

As per page 4 the GS316 data sheet here, the switch has a 3-year Hardware warranty and 90-day free Technical Support warranty upon date of purchase.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
growly
Tutor

The drivers are the latest versions I can get.

I replaced the switch with a non-Netgear switch and the problem has gone away.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@growly,

Thanks for the feedback.  Now that the problem is isolated, I suggest you to open a chat/online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime to let them know the status of your switch and get a replacement (as long as its still within hardware warranty). 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements