× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS503

ReallyWhat
Aspirant

GS503

Hi, 

I have a GS3025e connected via CAT6 to my ISP provided router.  I then connect my PC, a NAS and a work Surface to the switch via Cat5/Cat6 LAN.

For 2 months it's been fine providing me with my ISP maximum Internet speeds of ~37Mbps.  Oddly, tonight my internet speeds drop to something like 0.2Mbps (I couldn't even load Goggle and Speedtest.net wouldn't connect to the test server.)

I did the obvious such as check cables, reboot my router and so on but as soon as I took the Router to Switch LAN cable and connected directly to my PC, my speeds went right back up to where they should be.  Put it back so it's Router > Switch > PC and the speeds drop to pretty much 0 again.  I've tried several cables between the Switch and the PC and all are giving the same result. 

I've tried removing all the cables except the Router > Switch and Switch > PC but no difference. 

I've tried the cables in different ports (even though I know it shouldn't actually matter) but no difference. 

Any ideas or is this simply an RMA?

ta

Model: GS305E|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Re: GS503

Hi @ReallyWhat ,

Welcome to NETGEAR online community! 🙂

May I know the exactly product module name on this swith?

GS305 is unmanaged  switch

GS305E is smart managed plus switch

Which one do you have in this situation?

May I know more about your topology on GS305/305E when this unusual situation happened?

Such as:

Router >>>Port 1

PC      >>> Port 2

Printer >>> Port 3

Camera >>>Port 4

etc...

View solution in original post

Model: GS305|Unmanaged Switch
Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @ReallyWhat ,

Welcome to NETGEAR online community! 🙂

May I know the exactly product module name on this swith?

GS305 is unmanaged  switch

GS305E is smart managed plus switch

Which one do you have in this situation?

May I know more about your topology on GS305/305E when this unusual situation happened?

Such as:

Router >>>Port 1

PC      >>> Port 2

Printer >>> Port 3

Camera >>>Port 4

etc...

Model: GS305|Unmanaged Switch
Message 2 of 3
ReallyWhat
Aspirant

Hi @DanielZhang,

Thank you so much for getting back to. Sorry to wate your time though, I've found the solution. 

I use Powerline adpters throughout my house and 1 of them was behaving oddly.

Although I have one powerline connected to my switch (which was correctly being identifed as the 'source' (ie, the one connected to the internet source), a 2nd one starting acting is if it was the source, where is in reality, it was should have been a provider.

Suffice to say, once I disconnected that Powerline adapter, everything returned to normal.   I'm going to open a support case with Devolo asking the question about uising powerline via a switch or should the 'source' adapter be conencted directly in to the router.

Regards  Ricky

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements