× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS305 - Internet speed dropped from 340 to 27 since installing

RonAZ
Tutor

Netgear GS305 - Internet speed dropped from 340 to 27 since installing

My internet speed has dropped from 340 to 27 since installing the Netgear GS305.

My Set Up:  I have run a Cat7 Shielded cable that is directly connected into my router, to my home theater room located about 70 feet away.  The Cat7 cable is directly connected to my Nvidia Shield and using OOKLA (speedtest), my speed is 340. 

I bought a Netgear GS305 switch so I could also connect a streaming box for whole house music system (Radio Tunes) which is located next to the Nvidia Shield in my home theater.  I installed the Netgear GS305.  I connected the Cat7 cable to the middle plug on the GS305 and then connected using Cat7 cables to both my Nvidia Shield and a streaming box for Radio Tunes.  I checked my speeds with OOKLA (speedtest) and only got 27.

I read many reviews and it was stated there was no loss of speed when using the GS305. 

I would appreciate any feedback you might have and did I buy the right 'switch'?

Model: GS305|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
RonAZ
Tutor

Re: Netgear GS305 - Internet speed dropped from 340 to 27 since installing

The issue is resolved...it was "OE" Operator Error...  Somehow when I installing the GS305 switch, with the lost of the ethernet connection, my Nvidia Shield switched from ethernet connection to Wifi.  The 27 download speed was for Wifi not ethernet.  I reset the Nvidia Shield to ETHERNET connection and the down load was 337.  

The GS305 switch was working perfectly as it was designed to do.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
RonAZ
Tutor

The issue is resolved...it was "OE" Operator Error...  Somehow when I installing the GS305 switch, with the lost of the ethernet connection, my Nvidia Shield switched from ethernet connection to Wifi.  The 27 download speed was for Wifi not ethernet.  I reset the Nvidia Shield to ETHERNET connection and the down load was 337.  

The GS305 switch was working perfectly as it was designed to do.

Message 2 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@RonAZ,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Thank you for sharing the solution here in our community! It seems that the Nvidia shield automatically shifts to wireless even if it is connected to the switch.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements