× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Power To POE on GS305P

LTDJeremy
Aspirant

No Power To POE on GS305P

HI All,

I have a GS305P, which I'm trying to use to run some PTZ cameras.  The cameras should have the correct POE protocol (IEEE 802.3af standard).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KQC5M2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I connect the cameras I get no green light on the POE side, it's not recognizing them.  It works as a regular switch.  I have a TP link single port injector (TL-POE150S) and I can run each camera off of that injector.  They are both rated for the same wattage, so I don't think the cameras are the problem.  Anything else I should be checking on the GS305P to try to get it to output power?  The max power light isn't on and I can't get POE with even on camera plugged in.  Is there a fuse or anything inside the switch that I should open it to check?  Does it sound like the unit is bad?

Thank you for any help you can provide.  

Model: GS305P|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with 4-Port PoE
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LTDJeremy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The GS305P only supports IEEE 802.3af standard which is PoE (Power over Ethernet) on 4 LAN ports.  As reference, kindly check page 3 of its data sheet here.

Searched online and found out that the LEFTEK Dome Camera 2.5'' Mini POE Dome PTZ Camera that it support IEEE802.3at standard which is PoE+.  As reference, kindly check the manual I found here

I suggest you to replace the GS305P with a GS305PP.  The GS305PP supports both PoE & PoE+ on 4 LAN ports.  Kindly check page 3 of the data sheet here.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LTDJeremy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The GS305P only supports IEEE 802.3af standard which is PoE (Power over Ethernet) on 4 LAN ports.  As reference, kindly check page 3 of its data sheet here.

Searched online and found out that the LEFTEK Dome Camera 2.5'' Mini POE Dome PTZ Camera that it support IEEE802.3at standard which is PoE+.  As reference, kindly check the manual I found here

I suggest you to replace the GS305P with a GS305PP.  The GS305PP supports both PoE & PoE+ on 4 LAN ports.  Kindly check page 3 of the data sheet here.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
LTDJeremy
Aspirant

Sorry for the slow reply and thank you for your reply.

I emailed Leftek and they assured me that that manual is for another camera and it should work on the GS305P.   It's also odd that it works on the TL-POE150S (which I know isn't netgear, sorry) as that is also only IEEE 802.3af.

But, I am out of other ideas, so I will be ordering the GS305PP.  I will follow up after I get them hooked up and acept the solution if you're right.  Thank you again for taking the time to reply and help me out.  

Message 3 of 5
LTDJeremy
Aspirant

Well, either the cameras take more power than they claim or our old GS305P didn't work.  Either way I replaced it with the recommended model and it works now.  Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LTDJeremy,

You're welcome. 🙂  I'm glad to know that its now working. 

Since your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements