× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PoE Network Switch?

airj1012
Tutor

PoE Network Switch?

I have a panel containing all my ethernet runs to my entire house. I'm going to add a network switch to this panel to facilitate the internet getting to all the rooms. There is not a plug within the panel, although there is one below it. However, I'd like to use a PoE system to avoid having to plug that network switch into an AC plug. Is this possible? Do I need a PoE network switch upstream from the network switch that would be in the panel?

Modem -> Network Switch (PoE) -> Network Switch (Non-PoE)

Would that work? Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: PoE Network Switch?

Few comments:

1. You talk about a network layout like  
    Modem -> Network Switch (PoE) -> Network Switch (Non-PoE)
    Is this Modem a modem+router, or do oyu intend to add a NAT router somewhere in this environment? If yes - how?

2. Technically you can power a GS108Tv3 - a rare switch model which has one port ("PD port") that can be powered from a PoE switch. It does not matter where the PoE switch (or even just a standards compliant PoE inector) is located, this can be on the modem/router side, or from any other room where the cables are going to.
  3. It's possible such switch models might not be available in the future for a replacement

4. If you intend to update the network to Multigig (with 2.5/5G or even 10G) one day, not aware auch PoE/PoE+/PoE++ powered switches exist today. 
Message 2 of 9
airj1012
Tutor

I have an AT&T Fiber modem and also a Netgear Orbi RBK23 system.

Sounds like I would plug in a PoE switch into my router. And then connect the GS108Tv3 with the PoE switch. The GS108Tv3 would get it's power from the PoE switch and not need an additional power source. Did I follow correctly?

Is there a certain PoE switch that I would need to power the GS108Tv3? Extremely light understanding but PoEs have different port power ratings?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@airj1012 wrote:

Sounds like I would plug in a PoE switch into my router. And then connect the GS108Tv3 with the PoE switch. The GS108Tv3 would get it's power from the PoE switch and not need an additional power source. Did I follow correctly?

Correct.

@airj1012 wrote:

Is there a certain PoE switch that I would need to power the GS108Tv3? Extremely light understanding but PoEs have different port power ratings?

The GS108Tv3 does require plain standard IEEE 802.3af PoE. A IEEE 802.3af PoE or a IEEE 802.3at PoE+ power injector is perfectly sufficient (about 20 USD including power supply), unless you need a switch with more LAN ports near the router anyway.  Watch your step - don't buy any of these passive or proprietary models.

Message 4 of 9
airj1012
Tutor

Thanks a LOT for the help. All this stuff is over my head, but I think I'm tracking. It's a pain that I can't ask Netgear directly. You'd think they'd help sell their own products...

Actually I do need a few more ports next to my router. Maybe a 5 port switch there would be helpful? Any that you recommend that you be able to power the GS108Tv3 further down the chain? 

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 9
airj1012
Tutor

And would this work for the GS108T? Not sure it's v3 but I do see the PoE - PD Port. 

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed/dp/B07PS6Z162

Also any solutions if I needed one more port? Ironically I think I need 8 ports (ethernet going to 8 different places in the house) but with the ethernet coming into port 1, I'll be down one slot.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

No such small PoE switches - look for a GS110TPv3  (8x 802.11af plus two SFP uplink interfaces for fiber) or GS110TPP (8x 802.11af/at plus two Gb copper uplink interfaces). Same firmware, same UI, like the suggested GS108Tv3.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS108Tv3/GS108Tv3_GS110TPv3_GS110TPP_HIG_EN.pdf

Sure, PD is mentioned in the title, in the comparison, visible on the pics for port #1

"NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch (GS108T) - Managed, with 1 x PD Port, Optional Insight Cloud Management, Desktop or Wall Mount, Silent Operation, and Limited Lifetime Protection"

Here again, watch your step, overly smart sellers might indeed offer similar designated products without PD. Everything oming from the official Netgear Store on Amazon should be fine.

Message 7 of 9
airj1012
Tutor

The GS110TPv3 and GS110TPP seem rather expensive when I'm just looking for PoE to power GS108Tv3 downstream. Can you use something like the GS305PP to power the GS108Tv3.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged-GS305PP/dp/B07WTXHSXC

I think the only "bell and whistle" I need is to power the middle switch. Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The switch selection depends on whatever you operate or intend to operate on your network. Should there be (or come) for example Sonos in the game, I strongly suggest to look for a switch with STP/RSTP support to match the GS108Tv3, so probably another (now AC-powered) GS108Tv3.

The "last resort" could be the bespoken injector and a whatever non-poE switch.

@schumaku wrote:

The GS108Tv3 does require plain standard IEEE 802.3af PoE. A IEEE 802.3af PoE or a IEEE 802.3at PoE+ power injector is perfectly sufficient (about 20 USD including power supply), unless you need a switch with more LAN ports near the router anyway.  Watch your step - don't buy any of these passive or proprietary models.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements