× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch

Couskae
Tutor

Switch

Hi, can some one pleae help me out. I have a Touchstone® WECB460 Wi-Fi® MoCA® Bridge and its Ethernet Cable I have connected to a Netgear D7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router / D7000 that is setup only for Wi-Fi. This unit seems to loose its connection from time to time. What I'm thinking of doing is eliminating the Nighthawk and replacing it with a 8 port switch. The question is which one, I'm looking at the GS308 & GS308E but not sure which one would be the preferred one or is the any other I could use? Please any suggestions or recommendations will be helpful, Thanks
Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What are you actually using as a gateway? 

My understanding is the moca device doesn't have dhcp/routing functions but is a moca bridge. 

So if you get rid of the nighthawk, what will be handling routing/dhcp/etc? 

Message 2 of 7
Couskae
Tutor

Hi, sorry, my mistake. not too knowledgeable in this area

I should have mentioned that there is a Touchstone DG2470 Data Gateway downstairs that connects to the Moca Bridge (2 Ethernet ports) upstairs via coaxial for cable TV & Internet. I connect from the Moca using 1 port to the Netgear and from Netgear (4 ports) Computer (2), Laptop, etc.

thanks   

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

you should be able to use a switch without issues. its a pretty simple unmanaged switch and you'd be running a gateway. 

Message 4 of 7
Couskae
Tutor

Thanks for the info, which of these would you recommend?

GS308 & GS308E

thanks

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

are you planning on using any of the smarter features of the GS308e? If not, I'd go with the simple unmanaged version. 

Less things to mess up 🙂

Message 6 of 7
Couskae
Tutor

Ok, not sure what the smarter features are, I think I will go with the GS308? thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements