× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UNMANAGED GS316PP

SKYMASTER69
Follower

UNMANAGED GS316PP

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if this switch GS316PP, is effectively and active or passive switch?

I realise all the ports are POE+. 

1) Can I connect any device to it wether they need 1W or 30W?

2) and can I connect devices that do not need power at all/not POE compatible? such a printer or land adaptor for a computer etc?

Thank so much for clarifying!

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: UNMANAGED GS316PP

@SKYMASTER69 wrote:

1) Can I connect any device to it wether they need 1W or 30W?

Yes, you can - perfectly safe. The total amount of PoE powered devices is limited by the number of ports, and the total power available on your switch model variant - these exist with 

Power adapter model Power adapter Total power budget
EPS90W 90W, maximum power budget 76W
EPS130W 130W, maximum power budget 115W
EPS200W 200W, maximum power budget 183W

The slider on the switch back side is just to "program" the power management for notifying in a possible power overload.

FMI: 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Hi-Power PoE+ Switch with FlexPoE - Models GS316P and GS316PP - I... 

@SKYMASTER69 wrote:

2) and can I connect devices that do not need power at all/not POE compatible? such a printer or land adaptor for a computer etc?

Yes, absolutely. This is possible thanks to Netgear not making Passive PoE switches - it's all well defined in the IEEE standards. A device (like a computer, printer or a wireless access point), potentially PoE powered, does negotiate the "need" for PoE power. Without requesting the right power, these are just plain normal Ethernet ports. Nothing to worry at all.

Welcome to the Netgear Community!

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements