× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: jgs516 Unmanaged Switch on 5gb internet?

Markpilk
Aspirant

jgs516 Unmanaged Switch on 5gb internet?

I’m running a jgs516 Unmanaged Switch on 1gb internet using cat6. I’m scheduled to increase our internet speeds to 2gb or maybe 5gb. ISP says cat6 will now handle up to 5gb speeds, but I’m not sure about the jgs516 Unmanaged Switch. Has anyone tried this switch with speeds beyond 1gb? I’m also using a Orbi mesh system with 5 satellites that are hardwired with cat6. I’m assuming that will work just fine for WiFi, but I’m unsure if using the hardwired section of the Orbi will carry faster speeds than 1gb.

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Orbi is a little bit vague.

A Orbi Pro WiFi 6 SXR80 router does come with a 2.5 Gb Ethernet port each, e.g. for WAN combined with a pair of GbE ports which can be used to configure a LAG for the LAN connection.

This would translate to a switch supporting MultiGig with 2.5 Gb ports.

If you think about a leading edge Orbi 960 system, we face a WAN port supporting up to 10 GbE (connected direct from your ISP uplink), plus 2.5 GbE LAN ports. This would translate to a switch supporting MultiGig 2.5 Gb ports to have an ideal combination.

Message 2 of 3
Markpilk
Aspirant

from data sheet:
The specs on NETGEAR’s JGS500 Gigabit Switch Series gives your office network a megaboost of speed and capacity that is within your budget. With up to 48 Gbps of bandwidth, these 16- and 24-port switches can blast 2000 Mbps per port.

I’m unsure what “blast 2000 MPS per port” means from the data sheet on my JGS516. I see Netgear also has new multi-gig switches, but they are pricey. The new standards state cat6 can now carry 10gps, but I’m unsure what my current switch or network cards can handle now that standards have changed for cable. I don’t want to upgrade to a faster ISP plan if I’ll be bottlenecked from my 1gbs LAN. 

I do have the Orbi 860 WiFi6 so I think I’m good on my Orbi’s.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements