× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement of FS105 with GS108

cid681
Aspirant

Replacement of FS105 with GS108

Hi,

I'm new and have been looking for an answer online but can't find one. I am in need of additional network ports in my living room and my FS105 5 port box is being replaced with a new GS108 8 port box. I am online with 3800hgv-b AT&T uverse modem/router. I had a working set up with my FS105 in the living room and I thought replacing it with a GS108 would be simple plug and play. I seems though that everytime I connect the power of my GS108 (or have it running on the wired network) it knocks out my wireless internet, my cable television, and even wired internet. To get back online as I am now, I have to unplug the power supply from the GS108.

Am I missing something with the connections? Is it not a simple plug and play? Has anyone heard of or had this problem and fixed it? I'm about to test this all out by reconnecting and replacing my GS108 with the previous FS105.

Thanks,

John

Model: FS105|5 PORT Fast Ethernet Switch,GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
cid681
Aspirant

Re: Replacement of FS105 with GS108

Hello,

Boy, I have egg on my face for this one. Quite an interesting one. To answer your questions, yes and yes it was new. And the set up works, now that I've set it up how I actually diagrammed. 

It seems that I had not only a coaxial cable to my DVR1 but my cat6 network cable (not plugged into the Slingbox) as well. So I'm figuring the uverse system found conflicting signals inputting to my DVR and somehow crashed my internet/tv.

I even had a guy come out from AT&T, replace my modem (which was so old he'd never seen it before), and look behind my equipment to see if he could find the problem. It wasn't until after he left that I plugged and test ran each individual device into my old 5-port FS105, had the same crashing, until i found the one cable that caused it. And thus, it led to the DVR when I followed it.

Problem, solved, stupidly... 

Thank you for your time and please keep this situation as a learning experience,

John

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello cid681, 

Welcome to the community! 

Both of the switches are plug and play, there are no special configurations to be done. Can you post a diagram of your network? 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 6
cid681
Aspirant

GS108.jpg

Sorry if it seems rather crude. I wasn't sure how else to display a diagram.

So it starts from the wall > modem > gs108 > devices. I should also add that I plan to use my pre-existing FS105 in the room with the Uverse DVR 2 to an Amazon Fire TV and Roku 2.

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cid681,

The diagram is understandable, I have no complaints. This setup should work fine, I'm not seeing anything wrong with the setup. Are your devices getting an IP with this configuration? Is the GS108 brand new when you bought it?

Thanks,  

Message 4 of 6
cid681
Aspirant

Hello,

Boy, I have egg on my face for this one. Quite an interesting one. To answer your questions, yes and yes it was new. And the set up works, now that I've set it up how I actually diagrammed. 

It seems that I had not only a coaxial cable to my DVR1 but my cat6 network cable (not plugged into the Slingbox) as well. So I'm figuring the uverse system found conflicting signals inputting to my DVR and somehow crashed my internet/tv.

I even had a guy come out from AT&T, replace my modem (which was so old he'd never seen it before), and look behind my equipment to see if he could find the problem. It wasn't until after he left that I plugged and test ran each individual device into my old 5-port FS105, had the same crashing, until i found the one cable that caused it. And thus, it led to the DVR when I followed it.

Problem, solved, stupidly... 

Thank you for your time and please keep this situation as a learning experience,

John

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cid681, 

Don't worry, these things happen all the time, not just on small networks. 🙂 It looks like a loop caused all the crashing. I'm glad that you have the network working now. If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution”, this will help other users just in case they ran into the same scenario. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements