× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 100GB+ file deletion problem - delete doesnt take place.

dstott
Aspirant

100GB+ file deletion problem - delete doesnt take place.

Hi All, first post here. Hopefully not a repeat question, but I also might suck at the search...

Problem: I have a 113 GB Aperture library on my ReadyNAS RND2110 1x1TB SATA that I can't get to delete.

Setup: MacBook w. OS X 10.8.2 w. 4GB ram
Netgear gigabit switch (GS108)
The above NAS

The nas works great in all regards. I get about 17.7 MB/s throughput consistently as measured by the widget istat pro. My ATV w. XBMC streams media to the TV from the NAS with no problems what so ever. My wife has her share mapped with all of her stuff in it, no probs.

Everything works great except for this one huge file that I cant get rid of. I've done command+delete in Finder and it opens the dialogue window "Deleteing Aperture Library.aplibrary" The blue horizontal barber-pole runs, but it never deletes. Ive tried it three or four times and let it run for hours. Last night I started the delete and 10 hours later there is no change.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Dave

EDIT: The NAS is definitely working - I can hear the drive working and the green light is flashing. But the file is still there...
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try the NAS's web interface.
Message 2 of 5
dstott
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Maybe try the NAS's web interface.

Cant see files in the web interface, only shares.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could e.g.

1. Create a new share "temp"
2. Connect to the NAS via CIFS as "admin" (Frontview user).
3. browse to /c/temp and /c/sharecontainingaperturelibrary. Move the aperture library to the "temp" share.
4. Delete the "temp" share.
Message 4 of 5
dstott
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
You could e.g.

1. Create a new share "temp"
2. Connect to the NAS via CIFS as "admin" (Frontview user).
3. browse to /c/temp and /c/sharecontainingaperturelibrary. Move the aperture library to the "temp" share.
4. Delete the "temp" share.

Just tried that - deleting the temp share after the move deletes the sharing permissions, but the folder and file are still on the drive and still taking up space..

UPDATE- That did it! It took maybe 5 minutes after I deleted the share for a notice to appear that the temp folder was deleted. Thanks for your help!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements