× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 104 and 316 Rsync fails most of the test connections

JNStew
Aspirant

104 and 316 Rsync fails most of the test connections

I've set up a number of backup jobs on a 104 pulling from 316 using RSync on my LAN, but one share is failing the test connection (Videos).  However, I can get some connections to pass the test:

104 pull from 316 Rysnc NO Windows Time stamp Yes

104 push to   316 Rysnc NO Windows Time stamp Yes

316 pull from 104 Rysnc NO Windows Time stamp Yes

316 push to  104 Rysnc YES Windows Time stamp Yes

Any advice on how to pull from 316 using my 104 and RSync (like all my other backup jobs)?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You'll want to move the data, not copy it.

Begin by turning off snapshots on the old share.

You can try accessing the RN316's data volume, and then move files between the two folders from windows explorer.  For instance open Video, do ctrl-a, then drag everything to the new share's icon in the left pane.  Do a test run with just one or two files first, and make sure the move happens instantly.

You can access the full data volume by running CMD and typing

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real values for ip address and nas admin password.  Be careful on spaces and the slash direction.  The first command will close any open sessions to the NAS, the second maps the data volume to drive letter t.

A second option is to use ssh, and do the move with linux command lines in the NAS.

A third option is to move a few files at a time until they are all complete (slowest and probably most frustrating).

Once you are done, you can delete the old share, and rename the new one to Video (or whatever).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is rsync enabled on the RN316 shares?

Message 2 of 9
JNStew
Aspirant

Yes and in fact today I can get a push or pull from the 316 to recognize the test connection on rsync (yesterday couldnt get push from 316 to 104, but could pull from 316 to 104), but still the 104 push/pull to/from the 316 wont test connect by Rsysc (but can using windows time stamp)

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JNStew wrote:

Yes and in fact today I can get a push or pull from the 316 to recognize the test connection

That's consistent with rsync being enabled on the system settings on the RN316, but not being enabled on it's video share.  That's why I asked.

Message 4 of 9
JNStew
Aspirant

Looks like both 104 and 316 have system Rsync on "green" and share RSync on and green.  I did notice that 316 share only had "Read" permission and so I changed it to Read/Write but still no test connection from 104.

I then turned the share Rsync off on the 316 applied it and then turned it back on again and "apply" button but still no test connection

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you make a new share the rn316 and enable rsync for it, does it work with the same RN104 connection?

Message 6 of 9
JNStew
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice - I made a new test share and it connects!

Ok now new dumb question - if I copy the old share data over to the new share I am assuming it is just a registry thing? (I do not have anywhere close to enough space to actually copy all the data and then delete original share) I think its like 7TB of video data.

I've tried to look this up and cant find it even in the OS6 manual

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You'll want to move the data, not copy it.

Begin by turning off snapshots on the old share.

You can try accessing the RN316's data volume, and then move files between the two folders from windows explorer.  For instance open Video, do ctrl-a, then drag everything to the new share's icon in the left pane.  Do a test run with just one or two files first, and make sure the move happens instantly.

You can access the full data volume by running CMD and typing

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real values for ip address and nas admin password.  Be careful on spaces and the slash direction.  The first command will close any open sessions to the NAS, the second maps the data volume to drive letter t.

A second option is to use ssh, and do the move with linux command lines in the NAS.

A third option is to move a few files at a time until they are all complete (slowest and probably most frustrating).

Once you are done, you can delete the old share, and rename the new one to Video (or whatever).

Message 8 of 9
JNStew
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the Help Stephen B.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements