× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 16TB Expansion Limit

oshae
Tutor

16TB Expansion Limit

Competing products such as the Synology DiskStations have already overcome the 16TB expansion limit. From what I've read on the forums, Netgear is looking to address this "when they get around to it", or correct me if I'm wrong.

Are there plans to fix the limitation any time soon, why should a user purchase a ReadyNAS over a competing product?
Message 1 of 6
KillerBob
Aspirant

I don't know if this is really a concern just yet. You can only just now pick up 4TB drives, and only in the 6-disc NASes is this an issue. With 6x4TB discs, using two for redundancy, you are just at the 16TB limit. Remember, it is not the disc capacity that is the issue, but the available space.

Bo
Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, but even when a fix comes it would likely require a factory reset on new firmware to take advantage of the fix. 16TB is a lot of data to backup.
Message 3 of 6
mathewbeall
Aspirant

Actually, with 3TB disks (6x3=18) this limit is already reached. I just ran into this problem - had to do a factory reset to use the full 18TB (13.5TB usable).
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

13.5TB < 16TB. The limit is not reached with 3TB disks.

However there is a limit of 8TB of expansion i.e. if your volume was 2TB when you last factory reset it can be expanded to 10TB
Message 5 of 6
mathewbeall
Aspirant

That must have been the actual issue then.

Matt
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements