× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2-way replicate

fmarchitects
Aspirant

2-way replicate

Hello,
After 5 years using an NV+ at the office for our data store, I've decided to upgrade to 2No. ReadyNas Pro's (2TB), backing each other up using Replicate. Ideally, I want to set up each box with one large share and one small share on each (say 750GB & 250GB). One box will be in the office and will use the 750GB share as an office data store. One box will be at home and will use the 250GB share as a home data store. Each will back up off-site to the respective drives on the other via Replicate.
The questions I have are:
1) Is this 2 way replication possible with 2 Replicate licences?
2) Is there a guide somewhere that exists to answer these queries?
I haven't opened the boxes yet as I want to make sure I don't do something stupid in the installation.
Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5
TeknoJnky
Hero

1) yes, you can replicate separate folders, to each other nas, but understand that each replicate job is only 1 way, its not bi-directional.

also, you have to have 2 licences anyway, one for each nas.

2) there are lots of posts in the replicate forum, and I think there may be some info on the main readynas website, but I don't know about an outright 'guide'.

It should be fairly apparent once you get the licenses and get the devices setup, you simply login to the replicate website and create the jobs. You will have on job going from nas 1 to nas 2, and another job going from nas 2 to nas1.
Message 2 of 5
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

TeknoJnky is right. It should be pretty straight forward once you sign into the replicate.readynas.com interface.
Message 3 of 5
fmarchitects
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have a go at setting them up over the weekend.
Message 4 of 5
BMach
Aspirant

I am a user that uses Replicate exactly as you wish to do - I have two boxes (NVX and Pro v1) and they normally reside at two different locations. One person works on files at the first location and those files are backed up to the second box at the second location. The second person works on files at the second location and those are backed up to the first location. In my situation the first person rarely if ever works on the second pesons files or vice a versa. I do not need true bi-directional replication as provided by say egnyte.

Replicate as a program is much improved from the original beta tested program. My suggestion is to give it a go.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements