× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.8.0 : Bug with static ip / dhcp

Rootax
Luminary

6.8.0 : Bug with static ip / dhcp

Hello,

I noticed a strange thing with 6.8.0 firmware. For my legacy Pro 4 and Pro 2.

I have both NAS with a static ip address on the eth interface used. But, when the nas is booting, it still make a DHCP request to my server, which give him one. Then, I suppose the NAS read the configuration file and all is good, because I have my static ip address used and everything is working when the nas is ready. But it "consume" a dhcp lease anyway... I'm at home, it's not a big deal for me, but I guess It can cause a more serious problem in organisation if their dhcp server is "trashed" by useless requests.

Thx.

Florian

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP2110|ReadyNAS Pro 2
Message 1 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 6.8.0 : Bug with static ip / dhcp

Hello Rootax,

Thank you for sharing the information we will try to further look on this. The NAS is on static ip address, is the address reserve on the router? If the ip address is reserve on the router once the NAS send a request the router will recognize the MAC address of the NAS and assign the static ip address reserve on the router for the NAS.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Rootax
Luminary

Hi,

No, no reservation on the router.

One of my NAS has 192.168.1.152, static ip set up in the nas network configuration page. When the NAS is booting up, I see a DHCP request on the router, from my nas (same MAC address), and the router is giving 192.168.1.53 (first available DHCP address on this range). But when the NAS is ready to go, it has the 192.168.1.152 address allright.

Like I said in my first post, in the end the NAS is working good, but one of my dhcp address is "wasted" for 24h (that's the lease duration I set up).

Message 3 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Rootax,

If there is an option on the router to reserve the ip address of the NAS we can try that so every time the NAS boots and request the an ip address it will recognize the MAC address and then provide the reserve ip address.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
Rootax
Luminary

Yes it's a workaround. Lucky for me I have only 2 nas 😉
But in a perfect world, the nas shouldn't send a dhcp request when a static ip is set up for the network interface. Or, is it for some kind of network recovery mode that I'm not aware of ?
Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Reserving the address in the router is actually a much better way to do it.  If you were to install a new router and it used a different sub-net, your old static IP could cause an access issue.  With it reserved in the NAS, it won't, as it will use DHCP to get an address in the new sub-net.

I do wonder if that dynamic IP would end up being used if you put the unit in diagnostic mode or for some other recovery process if it didn't get to the point of using the static IP.  Few have such a small pool of available IP addresses that a short unnecessary lease will cause an isue.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements