× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6tb drives on a pro-pioneer running 6.2?

pst
Tutor
Tutor

6tb drives on a pro-pioneer running 6.2?

So I'm debating tossing new drives in my Pro Business/Pioneer chassis.

Has anyone tried 6tb drives in my lovable ancient chassis? Any concerns/thoughts? I've upgraded the CPU to an C2/E6600 and 4gb of RAM, so I'm not super worried about lack of memory for RAM cacheing the larger filesystems.
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Users have used 6TB drives in legacy x86 units. Should work fine.

Of course there are support implications for using disks outside the compatibility list, but you are running 6.2 already anyway...
Message 2 of 3
pst
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah, I'm a masochist. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with 6.2 on the upgraded legacy hardware.

Before the 6.x release, I was considering junking my three Infrant boxes in favor of Synology, but honestly, despite its teething pains, btrfs is a win and you guys have done a much better software release architecture with 6.x (real debian packages). The older boxes make nice mirrored servers.

I replaced home grown file servers with one of your very first run RN600s years ago, and haven't looked back--much due to the amazing work of you and the rest of the Jedi's.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements