× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ARM NV+ / Duo v2 CUPS print install USB printer

ihartley
Tutor

ARM NV+ / Duo v2 CUPS print install USB printer

OK, I tried to install CUPS for printing on the ARM NV+ v2 , failed and had to do a factory reset. Second time around I was not so gung-ho, and at least it was done on a fresh install. You can follow my instructions, which may or MAY NOT WORK, and say thanks if it works for you. If it doesn't I can't help you other than the odd post here. Please note that I'm not even a regular LINUX user, so I've no idea why - if it's so easy - why oh why Netgear didn't do it. Personally I'd be embarrassed if I'd developed the product and left this out....

Please, if you don't understand all of the instructions, DON'T TRY and modify your ReadyNAS v2. You may trash your install and Netgear won't help.

First of all, the base of my (2nd) install came from Marcel @ http://26elf.at/2012/10/netgear-readynas/ . I might have figured it myself, but hats off to the guy and I hope Netgear pay him $10k from the employee bonus pool. Sure enough the employees don't deserve it. I like the ReadyNAS, and would have preferred to pay an extra $80 for print support...

Here we go: First: "apt-get install cups libcups2"

When you get errors due to (the three I got) dependency issues override them with:
"dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/%%package name%%"

The conflicts seems to relate to printing/CUPS conflicts anyway so I don't think it will break anything. However a re-install or upgrade of Radiator might break it or the install, so take note!!

Delete the old scripts : rm /etc/rc?.d/*cupsys

reboot. Not sure if it's needed, but I normally use Windows where reboots are more common than Catholic Popes!

cupsctl –remote-admin
/etc/init.d/cups restart

That was everything from Marcel. Thanks again!! I found I needed a few more tweaks to get it working:

1. Run either or both of "apt-get install cups libcups2" and/or "apt-get -f install". You should end up with everything installed and no errors; some of the packages don't get initialised due to the failed dependency issues above.
2. Add the default CUPS user "admin" to relevant groups: usermod -G lp,lpadmin,shadow admin

I think that was about it. The groups seemed to be reset on reboot, but that might not be the case for everyone. If you reboot and get errors managing printers have a look there.

I hope it helps you. It helped me. And the environment, since I can now switch off a 150W PC acting as a print server at home. NETGEAR : shape up or ship out. This kind of omission is just lazy, even if it was an unsupported addon we'd all be grateful....

Just in case you didn't read very well: I can't help you if it goes FUBAR, always make a backup, always read the label and remember the value of your investments can go down as well as up!
Message 1 of 6
CouchPotato
Aspirant

I just registered to say a huge thank you for this 😄

Followed your instructions almost to the letter - only thing I didn't have to do was

2. Add the default CUPS user "admin" to relevant groups: usermod -G lp,lpadmin,shadow admin

everything works fine without this from what I can see.

Now got my ReadyNAS Duo v2 happily acting as a print server for 2 PCs and a Mac, printing to my HP Photosmart D7160.

I agree with your sentiment about Netgear - this was almost trivial to get going, it seems ridiculous that they didn't include it in RAIDiator...
Message 2 of 6
bmayer
Aspirant

Thank you all who are responsible for this very helpful info. I'm new to the NAS world, and thought I checked to be sure a Print Server was included in this device. This is key for me.

I have (I think) only one question. I'm fairly technical (I'm not intimidated by these instructions), but not so technical anymore that I understand all the details in your instructions. I'm not a programmer.

My question: Where do I get the CUPS layer? Once I install the SSH (which I know how to do), is the CUPS just configuration, or is it another layer of software that I need to install from somewhere (and if so, where)?

Bottom line (2nd question): After I have installed the SSH, is the rest just configuration or added software?

Oh yea, 3rd question: finally, once I successfully install/config this, will it be easy to install/see my printer?

Thank you!
Ben
Message 3 of 6
ihartley
Tutor

First, better to check that your printer is supported by CUPS. http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... enprinting should help.

You need to install the CUPS software : see "apt-get install cups libcups2" in the instructions. Might be a good idea to a "apt-get update" first (note: NEVER apt-get upgrade!!). After that the rest is configuration. There's enough linux support on the web to find any problems with CUPS, so yes if you're reasonably technical you should have no problem. There is a web interface to CUPS.

I no longer have a ReadyNAS so can't help much further - I'm sure others can. Good luck; you're very unlikely to break anything whatever you do, so go for it! I found it quite impossible to use the ReadyNAS (or any Linux NAS) without SSH and at least a basic understanding of Linux commands.
Message 4 of 6
necoboss
Aspirant

Hi all,

I tried this on my readynas duo v2 and unfortunately something went wrong because now I have cups that seems to be working (at least I have access to mynas:631) but I have no access to frontview and my shares/DLNA...
I have ssh access still working but I'm not sure why I can't access my data stored in the disk.

I probably need to do a factory default reboot process (unless you guys have another solution 😄 )

I know how to mount a disk but I never played with RAID1 stuff and I don't want to break anything because I want absolutely to save my data stored on the HDD first.

Any help is pretty much appreciated.

What I did:
apt-get update
apt-get install cups libcups2
apt-get -f install
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libcups2_1.4.4-7+squeeze5_armel.deb
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/cups-client_1.4.4-7+squeeze5_armel.deb
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/cups_1.4.4-7+squeeze5_armel.deb
apt-get -f install
rm /etc/rc?.d/*cupsys
cupsctl --remote-admin
/etc/init.d/cups restart
apt-get -f install
apt-get autoremove
Message 5 of 6
necoboss
Aspirant

As I had no feed-back here I'm at least sharing what I found to mount my RAID 1 disks out of my readynas duo v2.

the key part is here:
modprobe dm-mod

vgchange -ay

termcb:~ # lvscan
ACTIVE '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [26.06 GB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.75 GB] inherit

mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mount/point

Source: http://pissedoffadmins.com/os/mount-unknown-filesystem-type-lvm2_member.html

It might help others...

By the way, did anyone succeed installing a printer/CUPS properly on 5.3.11 firmware without breaking everything else? I'm taking any tips/leads...

Cheers

PS: Another link that might help for RAID disks mounting: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements