× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Disk and Moving to JBOD Process

mwtb
Aspirant

Adding Disk and Moving to JBOD Process

I've got a Duo v2 that currently has a single 3TB drive running XRAID2. I want to add another 3TB drive but move to JBOD to get the full capacity. As I understand it this will involve backing up the data, doing a reset to factory default, changing to JBOD and then restoring the data. What I'm wondering is how to best/most easily achieve this.

I don't have 3TB of space elsewhere so I'll have to use the new drive to do the backup. Will this have to be done by installing it in my PC or is there a way to get the NAS to do the backup? Presumably it's not possible to simply pull the existing drive, set the new drive up as JBOD and then copy the data across from the original drive, avoiding the backup step entirely? I'm guessing that the XRAID2 data isn't readable unless the NAS is running on XRAID2.
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding Disk and Moving to JBOD Process

unfortunately you do need to do the reset.

I'd put the new drive into a PC, and copy over the network. I suggest either using robocopy or teracopy. Teracopy is easier if you aren't comfortable with windows command line, and can verify the copy. If you don't have gigabit, then get a gigabit switch as part of the upgrade, and insert it between the router and all your ethernet devices.

Then reset the NAS and change to jbod with RAIDar. Restore addons, configuration, and data in that order.

Then delete the volume on the new drive on the PC (right-click computer and select manage. Then select disk management, right click the volume and delete).

Finally add the second volume, create some shares on it. You might want to migrate some shares to it. You do that by renaming the shares your want to migrate, creating new ones on the second volume. Use the webui backup to copy the data, and when that is complete you can delete the old versions.
Message 2 of 3
mwtb
Aspirant

Re: Adding Disk and Moving to JBOD Process

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like it'll be a weekend project. If only I'd thought a bit more when I put the first disk in!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements